Saturday, August 20, 2005

Blogger Flagging

Blogger has a new thing called Flagging. If you look up at the bar at the top of the page, you'll see the flag button. It's supposed to be used to alert Blogger to objectionable material . Objectionable material is a subjective term so basically anyone can claim to have been offended by anything and Blogger will remove the blog from the 'next blog' programming and not include it on any recently updated lists it generates.

As a result of this, I am publicly stating for the record that just because this blog is not Tiger Friendly, that is no reason to flag my blog. I do not say anything derogatory about Woods' personal life, and I limit my criticism of Woods to his attitude on the course, his play, and the media's treatment of Woods versus the other golfers. Also, I don't harp on the Woods issue constantly. As you can see if you've been following my blog, I cover many other topics. And I've even created a link to The Tiger Woods Foundation to help promote the good work he's doing. I certainly won't be flagging Pro-Tiger blogs because everyone has a right to like or dislike whomever they want.

If this Flagging thing turns into a childish, "I don't like you (sticks his or her tongue out)" thing, it will be a shame. Blogger will have let a good idea de-evolve into some third grade playground exercise in immaturity.

No comments: