Friday, February 01, 2008

Squash: The Sport, Not the Vegetable

Since I've been avoiding Tiger Millennium on the Golf Channel, I've had to find other things to watch and for a couple of days this week, it's been squash on the Tennis Channel. I don't think I like to watch squash. Smaller racquets, smaller ball, and the players almost trip over each other because the court is so confining. I still don't know all the rules and all the strategies. All I know is that if the ball bounces twice, the person who was supposed to have hit it loses a point. And I know that the ball really flies around that court - you can barely see it. I would say that squash is a sport that you would have to play to appreciate. I hope I don't have to watch that much of it, but who knows when Tiger Millennium will end. I tried to watch some of the FBR Open, but they went right to commercial and what was on the commercial? The Golf Channel hyping Tiger's first round in Dubai. And what was the second commercial? Well, it wasn't a commercial, it was the Update, which of couse would probably have been all about Tiger. So, I didn't even watch that. I switched it over to the Tennis Channel and watched a 3 year old match between Venus Williams and Amelie Maresmo.

I did check the scores of the Dubai event and Sergio is T5 so far. Aparently there was a weather issue or something for the second round - the lowest score was only 3 under par. Has anyone else noticed that Pablo Martin doesn't seem to be playing well at all? Makes you question the whole 'play American college golf' strategy. And when checking the FBR Open scores, I noticed something that I'm sure a lot of other people have already noticed: there are two players with the name Brandt. Other than Paul Brandt the Canadian country music singer, the only other time I've heard this name has been with the golfers. It's an unusual name to be so common in golf. But then I've always thought it strange that there weren't more PGA golfers with the last name Smith. It is a very common name in America.

No comments: