Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Book Review

Book: Match Play from the Codename Danger series
Author: Merline Lovelace
Genre: Romantic Suspense, Publisher: Silhouette Romantic Suspense

I bought this book because it's one of a series of books written by this author. The back of the book had no indication that there was golf involved so I was pleasantly surprised when I started reading and found out that there would golf at the famed St. Andrews course in Scotland. Unfortunately, I have this bad habit of only reading dialogue so I didn't read much of the golf writing to see how close the author came to describing the course and the golf action.

Here's a short description of the plot:

A top secret U.S. Government spy agency learns that a top North Korean female golfer might want to defect to the US with her father, a nuclear scientist. So, the agency, named Omega, sends in one of their agents to play in an international Pro-Am at St. Andrews and try to determine if the North Koreans want to defect. If they do, then the agent and her accomplices are to help them to defect. There's also the romance plot that involves the agent's old boyfriend.

My opinion of the book: Not enough romance for me. Engaging in certain acts doesn't make a book a romance novel. This is a problem I have with this writer and quite frankly, if it wasn't for the fact that I have all of the other books of the series, I might not continue to pick up these books as they are released. The idea of a North Korean golfer? I may need to research this a bit, as I was under the impression that growing things like crops for food was a monumental challenge for them. I wonder how they manage to maintain golf courses good enough to produce a top golfer. I will have to read up on North Korea. At least this book isn't heavy with tech gadgets. The last couple of books in this series had some pretty unbelievable superspy gadgets that made Q branch look like amateurs. Thankfully, the agent actually can play golf and doesn't need things likg gps guided golf balls and turbocharged 3 irons and rangerfinder tech imbedded within sunglasses. I would have been greatly disappointed if the agent had to rely on these gadgets to play at St. Andrews. Although I have to admit that when BA rigged that golf ball on that one episode of the A-Team, it was pretty neat.

Should you read this book? Maybe not. But if you decide you want to, then by all means, pick it up at your local store this month.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Miranda -

Thanks for taking the time to review MATCH PLAY. You wondered if the description of the golfing at St Andrews was accurate. Yep, it was! I actually got to play the course a few years back -- or more correctly, almost play the course. I lost my last ball on #17, so I guess I can't claim to have finished a whole round.

All my best,

Merline Lovelace