Friday, July 15, 2005

2nd Round of the Tiger Woods Invitational - I mean the British Open

They were interviewing Jack Nicklaus and instead of having him on camera, they had Tiger Woods. Unfortunately I will see Tiger Woods next week, next month, next year. Not so much with Jack Nicklaus. TNT's camera folks should have been more on the ball there.

My thoughts on the 2nd round:

I expected Tiger to be 4 or 5 under on this round, so that didn't surprise me. The guys at 6 under should have made a charge, but since Saturday is called Moving Day in golf, I hope there will be some golfers come out to challenge for the top of the leaderboard. They have to expect Tiger to be at least 3 under on his round tomorrow and again on Sunday so the others really do need some good low rounds out there.

David Toms disqualified himself - a classic example of why golf is the ultimate great sport and all kids should learn golf instead of playing GTA 3 on the playstation. Toms should get an award for ethics for what he did.

They said something about Fred Couples' back so I will have to go looking for that story. I think the announcer guy said Fred's back went out on the 13th hole, but I think he made birdies after that so if Fred was in some pain but finished his round, he deserves an award also for intestinal fortitude (as they say in the world of pro wrestling).

Sean O'Hair is still hanging in there and doing well. If he keeps it together and comes out with a good finish in this tournament, I may have to add him to the side-bar as one of my favorites.

What's with TNT not showing Nick Faldo? I saw one brief glimpse of him and caught the tail end of an interview. He's a previous winner on that course, you'd think they would spotlight him a little bit more. Hopefully ABC will do that this weekend. If Faldo was smart, that would have been in his contract with ABC :)

Why are they still talking about Phil Mickelson? One announcer guy suggested Mickelson could challenge Tiger on the weekend. I think Phil's something like 8 shots back. He would have to make up 8 shots and probably 4 or 5 extra and hope that Tiger falters. That's a lot to ask of Phil and Tiger I think.

It's amazing to me how John Daly can just come out of nowhere and be tied for 15th place after 2 rounds. I think this proves that the man has a gift that few others out there have.

Remesy and Butterfield missed the cut. So, I feel better having shined my spotlight on them over in the sidebar since we aren't going to hear about them this weekend.

Other notables who missed the cut:
Peter Lawrie
Davis Love
Todd Hamilton
Ben Curtis
Nick Price
Jim Furyk
Mark O'Meara
Lee Westwood.

I added the Leaderboard to the Sidebar. Click on it under the British Open section to see the full leaderboard.

Jack Nicklaus - I'm too young to have been a big fan of his and I didn't agree with his opinion on the Casey Martin cart-riding issue a few years back, but it shouldn't be a sad day for golf. Nicklaus ended his career playing and playing well. He finished ahead of about 60 players, some of whom have made millions in the sport and are Majors winners to boot.

No comments: