Saturday, January 27, 2007

Buick Invitational Round 3

I don't think Brandt Snedeker, Kevin Sutherland, or Andrew Buckle care that Tiger Woods is in the field. So many of the media keep trying to perpetuate this notion that Tiger intimidates competitors. Snedeker and Buckle could have folded easily but kept working at it and stayed in the lead by the end of the round. And Sutherland made a birdie to get into the final group. I'm not going to try to pick a winner or anything. Whenever I do, some one else wins. So, I will just say that with so many good players within 3 or 4 of the lead, the final round should be highly competitive.

As for the announcers today. Peter Kostis actually got to interview Tiger today. Wow. I guess Tiger's over his primadonna tantrum that started when Kostis criticized his swing a few years ago. It was great to hear David Feherty again after so long. Jim Nantz wasn't a bit afraid (unlike Kelly and Jerry from the Golf Channel) to say that Tiger topped his second shot on 18 yesterday. That was good. Nick and Ian Baker-Finch were great today as well.

They are still touting the whole Tiger Win Streak thing. It's amazing how people still buy into that. It isn't like he won six straight weeks in a row. That would be something to brag about. But Tiger one a couple, then lost one or two in Europe, then he may have won another, then lost some. Maybe someone else will win tomorrow and the media can finally stop trying to cash in on this pseudo-statistic. This is like me saying that I am an undefeated Trivial Pursuit player. I played three times in college and won three times. That was about 15 years ago. But I'm still undefeated. It doesn't matter how much time has past and how little I've played the game. I put all those other Trivial Pursuit players who don't win to shame.

No comments: