Friday, July 04, 2008

Today's Thoughts

1. I was watching last night's Golf Central this morning and I heard Kelly Whatshername say that Kenny Perry is skipping the British Open for Ryder Cup purposes. Obviously she did not attend or listen to his press conference after the Buick Open in which he said he was skipping the British Open because he was already committed to play in the opposite event here in America and he wasn't going to go back on his word and leave the sponsors and charities out in the cold. Gee, who am I going to believe, Kenny Perry or a Golf Channel announcer? Yet another reason to mute the Golf Channel and just look at the video.

2. European Open - Sergio had the round of the day, a 64, today to move into either third alone or a tie for third. I didn't check out the full leaderboard to see where everyone else finished up after the second round. Ross Fisher is still in the lead, which is good considering how rare it is for someone to back up a 63 or any low round with another good round. And I read on the European Tour website that Sergio has been keeping up on Rafael Nadal's progress at Wimbledon. So have I, but I think for possibly different reasons - LOL. I would love to see Nadal win Wimbledon, but I've been feeling sorry for Federer lately. All of the press is on him this year for his 'lackluster' performance. Excuse the man for being sick earlier in the year. A lot of people are wanting to write him off, probably because Novak and Nadal are younger and more exciting. In interviews it sometimes sounds like Novak would like to write Federer off. It's an interesting thing to note, when Pete Sampras was number one and winning everything, I couldn't stand him, but when Federer wins everything, I don't have the same feelings. I put it down to the media. Sampras was American and I'm subjected to a biased American media. Federer, being Swiss, gets more, dare I say it, neutral press and I'm not bombarded with a biased, player worshipping press - you know the kind we have when it comes to Tiger Woods.

No comments: