Thursday, July 17, 2008

British Open Round 1

Comments:

Wonder what all those people who picked Ernie Els to win are thinking right now? He shot 80 today. And I really don't know what they were thinking. He hasn't had any really good results coming in to this event. They would have done better to pick Tom Watson. He's only +4.

Sandy Lyle walked off the course after 10 holes. He was +11 and allegedly claimed the course was too tough. Too bad he didn't just not tee it up altogether. At least then maybe an alternate could have gotten into the field.

Jerry Kelly apparently complained a bunch about the course set-up after shooting a round of 13 over par. My response to that: There's about 150 other players who didn't find it as tough as Kelly. So I don't think it's the course's fault. I mean really, Greg Norman, a man who doesn't play anymore is Even par after the first round. Tom Watson, old in golf age, is only +4. And the real killer: John Daly shot +10 today.

If anyone saw yesterday's posts about who I would pick if I were making picks, you saw the names Ross Fisher, Miguel Angel Jimenez and Graeme McDowell. How well did they do today? Graeme McDowell is tied for the lead at 1 under par. Ross Fisher and Miguel Angel Jimenez are only three shots back at +2. I'm not saying I'm picking any of them to win. But it's good to see their good play continue this week.

Other players:

Rocco Mediate -1
Robert Allenby -1
Bart Bryant Even
Sergio Garcia +2
David Duval +3
Jean Van de Velde +3
Justin Rose +4
Padraig Harrington +4
Pable Larrazabal +5
Sean O-Hair +5
Chris Wood (am) +5
Angel Cabrera +7

Check out the full leaderboard by clicking here.

1 comment:

The Armchair Golfer said...

I might have to have you start doing my picking for me. :)