Thursday, July 10, 2008

It's That Time of Year Again

Yes, it's that time that we golf fans either dread or love - the yearly "Jean Van de Velde's British Open collapse" re-hash. I fall into the dreading category. Enough already. Leave the poor man alone. Anyone can have that kind of bad luck and I think last year some analyst on tv actually said it was bad luck. I've been listening to the Scottish Open coverage and they were talking about it on there. So far I don't think there's any way to tie Tiger Woods into that story. But I'm sure the Golf Channel will find a way.

I'm starting to look forward, very anxiously, to my trip to the Bridgestone Invitational at the end of the month. Especially with the way things are at work. Those of you who work in an office full of catty, mean women will understand when I say that work is not a pleasant place to be some of the time. My immediate co-workers are fine. It's the workers in other offices who are nasty. I'm planning to take the whole week off this time for the tournament. Last time, I only took Tuesday through Friday off because they won't let you in on Mondays. This time I've got Monday off and I'm planning to try to check out the zoo in Akron that day. If I come back and tell you that I've accepted a job cleaning out the lion habitat at the zoo, don't be surprised. I think I would prefer being bitten by a lion and cleaning up after them over my current job right now.

Annoying golf commercial: Anyone see the Top Flite commercials with that annoying announcer guy? Does that guy make you want to buy golf balls? I can't see that he would. He insults the players in the commercial. Like you players out there want that kind of reminder when you play.

And hey - I've passed the three year mark with this blog. Sometime in June 2005 I claimed this little opinionated spot on the web. My proudest moment in those three years: Picking Angel Cabrera as a dark horse to win the US Open last year. I think after that I retired from making picks. There've been some sad times and some happy times. My little chihuahua Phoebe passed away a little more than a year ago and then I brought Winnie and PJ home a few months later. Golf related - Sergio misses out on the British Open last year, but wins the Players Championship this year. The 2006 Ryder Cup was nearly perfection to watch. I have the official DVD of it but they could have put more interviews on there and more video of the matches. From DVDs to books, I found Roberta Isleib novels thanks to Golfblogger and read Darren Clarke's memoir of the 2006 Ryder Cup. My most tickled pink moment: Justin Rose personally replied to my fan email. It was only a short sentence, but he took the time to say something nice and I now I just think the world of him. And of course, my first trip to a golf tournament in 2006. Not to mention all the friends I've made here: Golfblogger, Tony at Hooked on Golf blog, Nick at Nick's Golf Palace, Neil at Down the Middle and Armchair Golf Blog, Nolan Matthias and everyone else who've been nice enough to stop by and leave some comments here and there.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary! Three years is incredible! Your an inspiration to me Miranda. I haven't even made it 3 months yet. I hope to have your longevity. Keep up the good work, buddy, and have some well earned fun at the Bridgestone Invitational. L8R

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary Miranda! As a fairly new golf blogger I very much enjoy and appreciate your views. Your information is very refreshing especially since you're a non-golfer.
Keep up the great work.

Hooked On Golf Blog said...

Happy Blogday! Congrats on your longevity.

The Armchair Golfer said...

Miranda, I've always enjoyed your blog and unique perspective. Congrats on turning 3!

Lucy Burdette aka Roberta Isleib said...

Hey Miranda, congrats on making it to 3 years with your blog--that's not easy! And I'm delighted that you discovered my golf mysteries. Unfortunately there aren't any new ones in the works, but the character in my current series did make her first appearances in both A BURIED LIE and PUTT TO DEATH.

Happy golfing and happy reading!
Roberta Isleib
www.robertaisleib.com