Friday, July 18, 2008

British Open Day 2

When I left my car this morning to go into the office, the buzz was about Camilo Villegas' 65 (finishing with 5 straight birdies). When I got into my car this evening, the buzz was about KJ Choi. Apparently it was a better scoring day over at Royal Birkdale. Even Jerry Kelly was under 80 on his round.

Here are some scores:

KJ Choi -1 (67)
Greg Norman E
Camilo Villegas +1 (65)
Rocco Mediate +2
Graeme McDowell +2 - my pre-tournament fave
David Duval +2 (69)
Padraig Harrington +2 (68)
Scott Verplank +4 (67)
Sergio Garcia +5
Chris Wood (am) +5
Ross Fisher +6 (tied 27) - my pre-tournament fave
Justin Rose +6
Thomas Sherreard (am) +6 (69)
Anders Hansen - round of 68
Ben Curtis - round of 69
Phil Mickelson - round of 68
Pablo Larrazabal Tied for 69

Miguel Angel Jimenez MC - my pre-tournament fave
Pat Perez MC but shot a 68
Angel Cabrera MC

I think now's the time when people should start looking at who might actually win the tournament. Talking about who might win after round one isn't that great of an idea because those who play in the morning on day one get the afternoon start on day two and vice versa. So after two rounds everyone's had relatively the same opportunity, extreme weather conditions excluded. I'm excited to see how David Duval, Graeme McDowell and Rocco Mediate fare for the rest of the weekend. Not too excited about Greg Norman - It's that whole new wife thing. I am also interested in how Pablo Larrazabal does. If I can't see Olazabal, then I want to see Larrazabal :) If Sergio doesn't win, then I hope he's always three or four shots out of the lead. I don't want the 'analysts' criticizing him about another lost opportunity. No one can win everytime the 'analysts' want them to. Not even Tiger who lost to YE Yang in I think late 2006 at the HSBC Champions though it counted in 2007.

Criticism: The clothing manufacturers need to design more fashionable raingear. On the way home, the guys on PGA Tour network on XM radio were talking about Ian Poulter's pants. Unfortunately, when I see him now on tv, he's wearing rainpants and I can't see his fashionable clothes. I need to see if he's got a website and if his clothes are on there. Everyone's raingear is basically black with some splash of neon colors. That's a bit boring. Ooh, update: I just saw Ian's colorful pants :)

No comments: