Saturday, June 23, 2007

Wrestling the Wrist Issue

I got to thinking about all the wrist injuries in the news lately: Michelle Wie, Phil Mickelson, some guy at the PGA of America thing, Paula Creamer had one last year. I think Jim Furyk had problems a while back. Remembering back to the early to mid 1990s when I used to watch golf before my boycott, I don't recall anyone having wrist injuries. In fact, I don't recall anyone having any serious injuries at all, except for back injuries of course. So, here's what I'm wondering:

1. Are players today too greedy and are trying to play more risky shots?

2. Could physical fitness be the problem? Are the players' workouts creating some sort of imbalance that's putting more pressure on their wrists?

3. Could improved technology be tricking the players into believing that their great hybrid clubs can produce miracle shots with little or no effort thus making the players careless in their execution or shot selection?

No comments: