Sunday, June 10, 2007

Haven for Shrinks

Have you noticed how many players on the PGA tour love the tough conditions, whatever they happen to be? Sergio always says he loves playing in the wind and he hopes the wind blows every time they interview him. Then all the other players jump on that bandwagon and say that if the wind blows it will be great for them. Well, now Woody Austin says he loves the tough courses where Even Par is a great score. If I could just get him to say the phrase 'even par round' in an interview, I'd get a lot more hits here. Anyway, I'm thinking that all the players have had sessions with shrinks who tell them to embrace the difficulties - the love your enemy idea. If you talk yourself into liking the bad conditions, then you're theoretically supposed to do better. Kinda like when you have to give a speech and you try to tell yourself that you love giving speeches and that it's no big deal, even when you are seconds from passing out when you're in front of the audience because you can't breathe. I never passed out, but I did master the 5 minute speech in one breath when I was in high school.

No comments: