Monday, February 05, 2007

Stats Out of A Hat

I'm watching the replay of the final round of the Dubai Desert Classic while waiting for Digging for the Truth to start on the History Channel. Some idiot emailed the announcers and said that 90% of Americans want to see every shot Tiger Woods plays and the other 10% are just mad because he's breaking records. I would love to see the study this idiot is quoting when he writes emails like this.

Just in case Renton Laidlaw and Warren Humphreys read this: I do not want to see Tiger Woods. I do not want to see his wayward drives, his ball hitting spectators, his missed putts, his expletive-laden tantrums when his multi-million dollar golfing technique only results in a birdie and not an eagle. I am completely and utterly sick of seeing the media suck up to him even to the point of promoting this faux winning streak. I could care less about records being broken. I wasn't around when the 11 straight was set. I wasn't around for the 18 majors record. Records don't mean anything to me. A tournament is more than just one player and all the players should be shown.

1 comment:

Patricia Hannigan said...

I'm really torn about Tiger Woods. No doubt that he's appealing to a very wide demographic and that he transcends golf like few other athletes transcend their sport. However I can see golf purists raising some of the points that you do. Personally, I really like him but find him a bit dull, almost sanctimonious at times. You mention his expleditive-laden tantrums, I haven't witnessed these but feel they might make him more interesting, not less. JMO.