Sunday, February 25, 2007

Final Results

Henrik Stenson won the matchplay. Geoff Ogilvy ended up second and Trevor Immelman defeated Chad Campbell to take third. All in all, I can't say I'm disappointed in the results, but I would have liked to have seen Geoff Ogilvy win.

And the weaseling has begun. Jimmy Roberts spent who knows how long trying to convince us that even when Tiger loses, he still wins. Blah, blah, blah. It seems as if NBC may be feeling the self imposed heat from a Tigerless weekend and couldn't go an hour without mentioning him. They really do need to stop doing that and start building up the rest of the players. Tiger won't be there forever.

I think the most important observation to make with regards to the Matchplay is that lack of American presence at the end. Americans play matchplay every year, either Presidents Cup or Ryder Cup, and still they seem weak. Paul Azinger really has his work cut out for him in 2008.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice anaylsis, Miranda. I also like what you said below about the ball mark thing. I talked to my dad on the phone today and asked his opinion -- he saw the whole thing. (I didn't.) He definitely gave Tiger the benefit of the doubt. He just doesn't think Tiger would make that kind of thing up. As he said, Tiger's not one to make excuses.

Patricia Hannigan said...

Yes, I hardly see what Azinger is going to be able to do between now and 08, but he better do something.