Wednesday, February 07, 2007

A Shorter Version of Golf???

BBC News reports:

A new version of golf has been launched with the hope of making the same impact as Twenty20 cricket and rugby sevens.

In PowerPlay Golf, each green has two holes instead of one, with a black flag denoting a more difficult pin placing and a white flag the easier one.

Over nine holes, players have to make three powerplays where they have to go for the harder option.

Click HERE for the rest of the article


My View: The only thing shorter is only playing 9 holes. If I played this I would take hours trying to decide which pin to go for. Keep in mind, I did take about 4 months to decide whether or not to buy a $7.00 purse.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I could see how this might be fun for the odd event. But remember, golf is a game of traditionalists. I mean, I had a hard enough time convincing one course to let me play in my $200 golf slacks because they had rivets on them, it wasn't like they were jeans, it was merely a case of the old boys club picking something to complain about. I can't imagine this form of the game will happen without a huge amount of resistance.

Nolan M

Anonymous said...

I am in favor of anything that speeds up the game of golf. I do not know much about this concept but it does not sound like the answer.

I have studied pace of play for the past ten years. The bottom line for public course golfers, like myself, is that there are people on the golf course holding their fellow golfers and the golf course profit margins hostage. They are playing slowly on pupose.

The only way to speed up the game of golf is to get tough on slow players. Everything else you come up with is just doing something unpleasant into the wind.

David Joseph
Chairman
International Pace of Play Committee

Miranda said...

Maybe they should do what ski resorts do. Have a beginner's course for the slow players and then other courses for more accomplished players.

I can imagine what the people who play slow on purpose are like. I work with someone who would behave that way. And he would get worse if he had friends with him urging him on and some alcohol. Maybe you could go for a progressive fee scale. The longer they take on the course, the more they pay. Install 5 hour parking meters and if they don't get back to their car in time, they get a $100.00 ticket? I'm a woman, I can come up with all kinds of methods of punishment - Hahaha