Saturday, July 29, 2006

What was that again?

I've been watching some golf this week, just not really paying attention. Haven's seen any of the US Bank Championship, but I hear Corey Pavin has been doing really well, so good for him. I saw some of the Evian Masters, but really couldn't remember much of it except that Se Ri Pak always wears really cool clothes. I hear Kari Webb won and Michelle Wie finished tied for second or second I don't know which. The European Tour - I saw some of that this morning. Sergio made an eagle and they didn't show it. Then they went to a rain delay. They were doing a lot of Ryder Cup talk this morning. I have the first two rounds on dvd, but as usual, I haven't watched what I've recorded. Senior Tour - it's on now and Loren Roberts is leading. I had planned to watch it but laid down to try to get rid of my headache. So, I missed a litle bit of it. I don't hear Nick Faldo, Mike Tirico talking so I don't know what's up with that. The BIGGEST NEWS is that Judy Rankin is supposed to be back next week for the Women's British Open. She's been off battling cancer lately. Good for her.

Last night on the Post Game Show, the golf channel people interviewed Carolyn Bivens, commissioner of the LPGA. She was doing fine evading the questions until she got to one on Michelle Wie. I listened to her answer and thought "I believe she just insulted me." Here's what she said (as close to a direct quote as I could manage it, it might be a bit off but not in context): Fans don't know if she's (Wie) a member or not. All they know is that she's a charismatic young woman who plays professionally.

Now I take exception to that. I know she isn't a member of the LPGA. I know she's limited in the number of tournaments she can play on the LPGA schedule. I also know that Bivens could at any time, if Wie applied, make a special exception and allow her membership (Bivens said that last night). I wonder what else Bivens thinks the fans of women's golf don't know.

Bivens said there was a committee being formed to look into revamping the rule that the Commissioner could make a special exception to allow players to play on tour so that Michelle Wie, or a player like her, could possibly play more. Well, if she wanted Wie to play on tour, she would follow the current rule and do her thing. I believe Bivens has assigned this to a committee so that it would take so long to get done that Wie will be 18 by the time it's finished. That way Bivens won't have to admit she was wrong and change her mind on Wie. People say Bivens' brash nature and management style may be hurting the LPGA. I think it's helping the PGA since Michelle has to play somewhere, and she's not lacking for opportunities on the Men's Tour.

No comments: