Friday, July 14, 2006

John Deere Classic Round 2

1. I would just like to say again that I think the PGA tour should allow the players to wear shorts once the temperature climbs above 90 degrees. If you go back through this blog's archive you'll see that I've said this long before what happened today with Michelle Wie. I think the health and well-being of the players should be more of a focus for the tour.

2. Over the last two days I've heard a couple of things about and from Jeff Gove that make me think he might have a bit of an issue with Michelle Wie playing on the PGA tour. And today it was reported that he took exception to the distractions that are inevitable with a Michelle Wie gallery and said a few words to a photographer. My comment is this: If Gove can't handle a Friday Michelle Wie gallery, then he should really try to toughen up before if finds himself in a Saturday or Sunday Phil or Tiger pairing.

3. As much of a fan as I am of Michelle Wie, I felt the USA network did spend too much time covering her illness, withdraw, and subsequent departure from the course. Yes it was newsworthy, but when there was nothing to report, there was no reason to keep going back to the guy following her around. And I really don't think they should have reported which hospital they were taking her to. Besides the privacy issues, creating a media frenzy at a place where sick people are trying to heal and get well is not a good thing. Give some consideration to the patients at that hospital and let the Wie camp and the hospital staff release whatever information they want to. At least let the hospital prepare by bringing in more security.

Onto the Leaderboard:

Daniel Chopra -9
Joe Ogilvie -10 (maybe they will stop confusing him with Geoff if he wins)
Ryan Moore -8
Justin Rose -5
Paul Azinger -5
Sean O'Hair -2 (Defending Champ)
David Duval -4 (yay, it looks like he's going to make a cut and hopefully do well this weekend)
Eric Axley -4 (This guy has been over in the side bar with Arron Oberholser all year. It's about time I can say something about him).
Chris DiMarco - it looks like he might miss the cut. He's even par.

No comments: