Sunday, July 23, 2006

A Letter to Sergio Garcia

Dear Sergio,
I watched your final round today in the British Open with the highest of hopes which were soon replaced by the most painful of heartaches. I was so hoping you would win today, more for your own personal satisfaction than to shut up the critics.

All in all, I don't see this year's British Open as a failure in any way for you. When compared to the rest of your year so far, this was indeed a success. And once you factor in the tendency for people who shoot low scores to follow it up with high scores, plus your tendency to shoot higher scores in final rounds, a +1 score today was really good. And it wasn't as if you were the only one in second place when the final round began. The other guys couldn't get the job done either. I'm sure you will build on this tournament and work even harder to make your mark at the PGA in August. (Please play in the WGC Bridgestone Invitational the following week - I have tickets for that one.)

I do have a small request however. If you don't get over this final round slump issue, then please don't put yourself in the final group with Tiger Woods again. I had to watch 4 hours of Tiger Woods today and did not get to see much of you at all. Either start winning when you are paired with him, or position yourself to be in the middle of the pack on Sunday so I can watch you for a couple of hours and then when you finish, I can turn the channel.

Thanks and Good Luck in the Future,
Miranda

No comments: