Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Player of the Year Poll

The Golf Channel is conducting a poll on who is the player of the year at this point and the choices are Tiger, Phil and Geoff (He's won a major, I shouldn't have to mention his last name). I say Geoff should be player of the year. And here's why: I feel that Tiger and Phil have pretty much self-actualized, referring to Abraham Mazlow's Hierarchy of Needs Theory. Once there, there is nowhere else for them to go. They can't improve any more. And they actually become normal, or average for them. We come to expect this kind of performance from them. And if we expect it, then why should we honor it? My boss expects me to do my job. So, he's not going to reward me for meeting my quotas. Phil and Tiger, we expect to win tournaments each year. The real player of the year is someone who either overcomes a big challenge to succeed or someone who breaks through and proves his worth. Someone on his way to becoming self-actualized. I think that's Geoff.

No comments: