Friday, June 16, 2006

US Open Round 2: General Observations

1. When the NBC announce crew makes a mistake on air, they correct it. You don't have to wonder what tournament they are watching like I do sometimes when CBS is covering an event. I don't remember the specifics, but someone tried a chip shot or a shot from a bunker and the on course commentator said it was a good shot, but it turned out to be a bad one and Johnny Miller corrected the on course guy. Then the on course guy agreed and said he had spoken too soon.

2. The Tadd Fukikawa story is a good one. He didn't make the cut, but he did get some air time which is great for the 15 year old qualifier from Hawaii.

3. In contention: Steve Stricker, Colin Montgomerie, Kenneth Ferrie, Jim Furyk, Geoff Ogilvy, Arron Oberholser. I look forward to watching these guys. I hope they can keep up the good play.

4. Spaniard Watch: I saw Sergio a couple of times this morning, which will be the last time I see him this weekend unless the golf channel airs some old highlights show or something. Jose Maria Olazabal made it to the weekend and I saw him a couple of times today. Miguel Angel Jimenez is still the best of the three.

5. Chris Berman of ESPN: Sounds like he belongs on the Sopranos and it sounds like he wouldn't know much about golf, but he seems to be more knowledgeable about golf than ESPN Carl. And even today, ESPN Carl didn't bother me.

6. Michelle Wie would've shot at least +20 in this tourament and that's probably being generous. I think I see now why so many guys interviewed on that Monday she tried to qualify were so supportive. Maybe they wanted to see her fail miserably in the tournament.

7. The guys who yell "Get in the Hole" on par 5 tee shots should be smacked. Really, really hard.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmm, that's a new low, criticizing Wie for the score you think she would have gotten in a tournament she didn't even play in. You must have a powerful crystal ball.

Miranda said...

If you had read any of the other posts on this blog, you would realize that I am one of the biggest Michelle Wie fans around. But I am also honest. She would not have done well on this course. And your faith in my crystal ball must be why you didn't sign your comments with your name, right? My crystal ball tells me who you are.

Anonymous said...

me again, I'm only anonymous cause I try to avoid registering on sites I don't regularly post to.

Before the open started, I figured Wie would have done badly at Winged Foot, but now I'm not so sure. If her ball striking was as good as it was at Canoe Brook she could have minimized her time in the rough. Even if she got in the rough, I think she would have done okay, except in the really deep stuff, where even the men didn't do so well. She hit some great shots out of the rough at the LPGA Championship and that rough was over 3 inches.

As far as the greens, it's hard to believe she could have done much worse than a lot of the men. The problem with the greens at Winged Foot doesn't seem to be that they are fast which would have challenged her, it's that they are slower than a lot of the players expected and bumpy. She may have done okay there if she mastered the speed.

I'm sure you could also construct an argument that she would have done badly, but the point is we will never know since she didn't play. It's hard to believe she would have done worse than Tadd who she beat in Hawaii and he shot much better than +20.

Miranda said...

If you're comparing her to Tadd then you have to factor in the fact that Tadd was just happy to be there and didn't really have any pressure on him at all. Michelle Wie would have had tons of pressure and as we saw in the qualifier, as the holes ran out, she made bogies - a sure sign of a collapse. She would have done worse because much more was expected of her not only by everyone else, but herself too.