Wednesday, July 15, 2009

British Open

I haven't been too interested in the Open yet. As with any tournament Tiger plays, I probably won't watch much of the Open. I have been reading tweets from Ian Poulter and Paul Casey, however. They are posting some pictures. You can find them on Twitter if you would like to see their pics or read about their practice rounds.

One thing I'm glad I'm missing is the 'who's the favorite to win' debate that is inevitable whenever the media has time to kill. They will always pick the top players in the world rankings. I have no idea who might win since I haven't been keeping up with it all. I'm guessing since there's a lot of hideously long grass there and it will probably rain, the winner would have to be someone strong enough to play out of the rough and someone who doesn't care about wet weather - sounds like a tournament made for El Pato (The Duck), Angel Cabrera.

Looking back over the last couple of weeks' results in Europe, I would look to Lee Westwood and Soren Kjeldsen to do well this week. Martin Kaymer will probably run out of steam after winning the last two events. But it would be spectacular if he were to pull off the win. Gonzalo Fernandez Castano has his putter going but he's still a streaky player so I don't know if he will do well. David Duval is in the field and it would be great if he would win again this week.

So, there are plenty of stories to follow if you want to look beneath the hoopla over the top media faves.

No comments: