Thursday, July 16, 2009

British Open Day 1

I'm watching a little bit of the British Open this evening. I can't tell if they will have Tiger on or not. I think they are jumping around in the replay coverage.

Some observations:

The PGA Tour network is already predicting winners - after only one day of competition. Of course, you don't see any of the PGA Network guys retiring early due to using their remarkable insight to pick winning lottery numbers. So, make what you want of the media's 'analysis'.

Rundown of some scores:
Miguel Angel Jimenez -6 (round one leader)
Tom Watson, Ben Curtis and Kenichi Kuboya -5
Lee Westwood, Paul Casey and Soren Kjeldsen -2
Gonzalo Fernandez Castano, Rory McIlroy, Martin Kaymer, Angel Cabrera and Davis Love -1
Sergio Garcia Even Par
David Duval +1

As you know I'm on Twitter now and I've been following some pretty good tweeters - Ian Poulter is one of the best. Well, I was also following former tennis player Justin Gimelstob. I say was because I had to stop following him today. He had the nerve to suggest that golf wasn't a sport because 59 year old Tom Watson was doing better than Tiger Woods. Well, I would say John McEnroe could beat several tennis players currently active on the ATP tour.

I have so many other comments I could make, but will leave them out and get on with British Open comments.

So, TNT has Curtis Strange and Paul Azinger commenting on the play. How negative and surly is that coverage going to be? Unfortunately for Mike Tirico and Judy Rankin, I may have to mute the tv.

No comments: