Sunday, May 27, 2007

Sabbatini's Challenge

I didn't blog about this when I first heard it, but since they keep bringing it up on tv, I think I should say something about Rory Sabbatini's comments about wanting to be in the final group with Tiger again and how he thinks Tiger is beatable.

I'm not much of a Rory Sabbatini fan, but I don't see anything wrong with his comments. Everyone is whining that there's no one out there challenging Tiger Woods. Now that there is someone who has the attitude and the belief that it's possible out there, everyone is criticizing Sabbatini - "How dare he challenge the great blah, blah, blah Woods". Proving that, one, the media only cares about stirring up a fight and the players can't trust a one of them, and, two, the fans are just a bunch of wishy washy flipfloppers who are too scared to pick a stance and stick with it.

As for the notion that Tiger isn't beatable? I believe Jim Nantz said that Tiger's response was something like "I've won 9 out of 12, so yeah, that's beatable". Talk to Henrik Stenson and Zach Johnson. A WGC event and the Masters and Tiger couldn't get it done. The past 9 don't mean a whole lot in that context. And where was Tiger on Sunday at the Players?

Sabbatini's right. Tiger is beatable and while I'm not much of a fan of Rory Sabbatini, it will be very enjoyable to watch him do it.

No comments: