Wednesday, May 16, 2007

From ESPN.COM

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=2871557&campaign=rss&source=GOLFHeadlines


South African Ashleigh Simon, 18, who just turned professional, accepted a sponsor's exemption to the HSBC Women's World Match Play Championship, becoming the first golfer to enter the 64-player field.

The event features the world's top 30 ranked players, the top 30 on the LPGA money list, the No. 1 ranked player on the LET Order of Merit, the defending champion and two sponsor's exemptions.

"I can't wait to get out on the Tour," said Simon. "I have thoroughly enjoyed my amateur career and feel I am absolutely ready for the next stage of my golfing journey. I have been fortunate enough to have already experienced the professional environment so I know it is a place where I feel comfortable and I feel I have learned a lot from the tournaments I have played so far."

The tournament will begin on Thursday, July 19 and conclude on Sunday, July 22 with 18-hole semifinal, third-place and title matches.

Brittany Lincicome defeated Juli Inkster, 3&2, to win her first career LPGA title at last year's event.

No comments: