Monday, September 25, 2006

Ryder Cup Press Conference Transcripts

Teams Discuss Ryder Cup Editor’s Note: When the 2006 Ryder Cup matches were completed, with the European team once again thrashing the Americans by an 18½ to 9½ margin, both teams sat down with the media and discussed the proceedings. Here’s what the two teams had to say. Let’s start with the losing American side.

U.S. Ryder Cup Team Interview
MODERATOR: Tom and your team, many thanks for coming down and joining us this afternoon. Commiserations on the result, I know it's not the one you wanted, but congratulations on your team's performance this week and what you thought at the closing ceremony, it was was a truly great event, so congratulations to your team for that. Your thoughts on the week and how it's gone, please.

CAPTAIN TOM LEHMAN: What is there I can mix with this water right now, because I probably need something. But thoughts on the week, you know, I guess more than anything I feel like our team gave it all that we had. It was the one thing we wanted from the very start was we didn't want to leave anything behind. We wanted to give it our very best effort, play with heart, have courage, and I feel like we did that. So many matches went down to the wire and it was tight for the most part, but I guess The European Team just played better. At the end of the day, they played better. They played great golf, they made a lot of putts, and I think to a person on this team we just tip our hats to the way they played. They played a phenomenal golf tournament.

MODERATOR: You mentioned the atmosphere the matches were played in. Could we touch on that before we take some questions?

CAPTAIN TOM LEHMAN: I don't think I can recall one episode on the golf course between players or fans or anybody that was anything less than perfectly sportsmanlike. The players played tough, they played hard, they showed respect to each other, the fans were emotional and passionate and excited, but they showed respect to the players. I thought everything about it was just right.

MODERATOR: Tom, thank you for that.

CAPTAIN TOM LEHMAN: No questions? Thank you very much. (Laughter).

Q. Simple question. How will this defeat play out in America?

CAPTAIN TOM LEHMAN: I guess we'll find out. I'm not really sure. You know, we just simply had two rules on our team this week. Number one was to be honest and be truthful in what we had to say to each other and the team; the other one was play with your heart. And we did that. We did both those things. So I'm not sure how it will play out, and quite frankly I'm not really too concerned how it will play out, because I'm very proud of the effort that our team gave.

Q. Could you kind of talk about the depth of The European Team?

CAPTAIN TOM LEHMAN: They were a very strong team, and from top to bottom they played extremely well. They played very inspired golf. But they simply, around the greens, were magical. I've always felt in the past that they putt well and they chip well every Ryder Cup. But this was something truly exceptional. I was just amazed at the short game.

Q. Tiger, it's been well documented how much you hate to lose. How much did this bother you, not only this year, but Oakland Hills as well?

TIGER WOODS: Not real happy. I believe, what am I, 1 and 3 or 1 and 4 in Ryder Cups? So, no, it doesn't sit well, nor should it. We went out there, we played, and they just outplayed us. They made more putts than we did. When it comes right down to it, in all of these Cups that I've been a part of, it's whoever plays 18 the best and whoever makes the most putts for the week. If you look at the way the Matches went for the entire week, the Europeans did better on both of those occasions.

Q. A couple of questions on some of the highlights from today. Scott, if you could talk about your hole in one, and Tiger, if you could talk about your 9 iron. (Laughter.)

SCOTT VERPLANK: What did you do with the 9 iron? (Laughter.) Did you make one?

TIGER WOODS: I was playing. (Laughter.)

SCOTT VERPLANK: Just a lucky shot. I hit a nice looking shot. It never left the flag. But, you know, to go in is pretty lucky. It was, I was 3 up at the time, trying to get the thing over with, and you know, I knew I hit a good shot. I was hoping it would be close where I could win another hole and it went in. So, you know, I just turned around then and told Padraig, "Well, it's your shot now." He actually hit a beautiful shot in there to about eight feet. When it didn't go in, I said, "Well, that's one's good," and we went to the next hole. (Laughter.)

MODERATOR: Tiger, thoughts on your 9 iron?

TIGER WOODS: Well, that was interesting. Stevie was I hit 9 iron, my second shot into 7 and we went up to the green, my ball spun off to the right side of the green, just off the green. I handed my ball to Stevie to have it cleaned and he was going to rinse the 9 iron in the water, and he did. He went to take a step on the rock to reach in there and rinse it off, and he slipped on the rock, and it was either going to be him or the 9 iron, so he chose the 9 iron. (Laughter.)

Q. Whatever happened to the club?

TIGER WOODS: We got the club back. We got it back on 15. So I figure it must have been a European who was diving for the club. (Laughter.)

Q. Did you ever need it?

TIGER WOODS: I did. I had a perfect number, 127 on 11. I went with just a tiny little 8 iron, worked out okay, made birdie, so it was all right.

Q. Who brought it back?

TIGER WOODS: The diver, and he was wearing a dry suit, which is understandable here. The water's not real warm, not like Florida.

Q. Were you able to use the club after that if you needed it?

TIGER WOODS: Yeah, Stevie dried the grip, it was fine.

Q. Two questions. Tiger, at this same press conference two years ago, you got two points and you said you contributed to the European victory. Do you feel that way? And for Tom, you talked about, I know you're not a second guesser, but at some point, someone is going to come to you as the U.S. captain, what would you have done differently, how could you help me; what would be your response?

TIGER WOODS: As far as my part of the question, yeah, they got 18 and a half, and I contributed two. I was part of that.

CAPTAIN TOM LEHMAN: Oh, you want me to answer that question? Repeat it again. You said something about future Ryder Cup Captains coming.

Q. I know you don't second guess, you don't like to second guess, but at some point, our future captain is going to come to you; what advice would you give him?

CAPTAIN TOM LEHMAN: You know, I think I need to think about that some. The one thing I would say about our team is that we definitely came here extremely prepared. We came very prepared and very ready to play, very motivated, with a clear goal. Everything you need to do to perform at your maximum level, we were prepared, we were ready to do. I'm not really sure we left too many bases uncovered. So in terms of what I would tell somebody else, I need to think about that. I need to just, you know, sit back, let a few days go by, whatever, just try to figure out what could we have done better.

Q. For Tom and for Tiger, some of us have followed this event for more than 20 years and it's become a great world event after being nothing. After two straight wipe outs like this, are we beginning to be in danger of seeing the event go back in the other direction if America doesn't become more competitive?

CAPTAIN TOM LEHMAN: I guess my first response is that sounds a little insulting in some ways. We have extremely talented players on our Tour. I go right down the line here. I'm continually impressed by the caliber of play and the heart and the courage these guys have. So you know, things all have a bit of cycles, and there will be a time when we'll be sitting here saying to the Europeans, you know, is this in danger of becoming a little bit in trouble, because the American team is on top. So you know, that will happen. Our guys are great guys and great players.

MODERATOR: Tiger, do you want to add to that?

TIGER WOODS: Tom said it all.

Q. Phil, just wondering, obviously your record obviously was not nearly what you had hoped or thought it would be. I'm just wondering how shocked you were at how things unfolded for you and if you felt like you played well and just generalize the week for you.

PHIL MICKELSON: Mark, I don't know what to say. That's a tough, tough question to answer. I don't know what to say. Obviously I expected to play to get more points than a half. But I felt like we were in every match. I felt like we had chances on every match to win, to get momentum, and things just didn't go our way. And I look back on the matches, and it seemed to all come down to the greens. We would have putts from closer range and we would miss after they had already made, or things like that seemed to happen a lot. It comes back down to the greens.

It's going to make me work harder in putting in the off season because I just didn't putt the way or make anything this week, and that was certainly frustrating. But, on a high note, I really enjoyed the captaincy that Tom Lehman put forth. He was an incredible captain in that we all had so much fun. He was such a great leader, he gave us direction, he provided us with every opportunity to play well.

We developed friendships this week when we came over earlier, not just this week, but from when we came over a couple weeks ago. And I just think that his leadership was tremendous, and I'm sorry that we didn't play well. Again, it comes down to making putts and hitting golf shots and so forth, and we were outplayed and got beat. But as far as leadership, I thought he was just tremendous, and we had a great week as far as the American side. We had a lot of fun together, but unfortunately we didn't come home with a victory, and that's what's the frustrating part.

Q. For Jim Furyk, the past couple of times you lost to a great team here, but you have beaten a great team in the Presidents Cup. What's the difference; is it the way you approach the two events? That's a pretty good group of world players that you've beaten, but the Europeans, that's a different story.

JIM FURYK: Difficult question. It's a difficult question. Early in the week, or weeks ago, I was quoted as saying that I felt like we approached the Ryder Cup tight; that we didn't play loose; that our team had a different look on their faces when the gun went off in the first round for the Presidents Cup than it did in the Ryder Cup. You know, I think a lot of us made an effort to make sure that didn't happen this week, and we were led by 12 of us are going to stand up here and tell you that our captain has done a phenomenal job. I wish we would have played better for him. I don't think that was the case this week. Everyone wants answers out there, what happened, why, what's the difference between 18 and a half and nine and a half, and I don't think there's a guy up here that can give you that answer on what's different.

But it's definitely going to have to be a point of reflection in the future, and obviously, next year, we'll send 12 guys to the Presidents Cup, and hopefully they can take care of business there. But come Ryder Cup time, it's on everyone's mine. We're going to have to take care of business in two years and reflect and figure out what the difference is.

Q. Tiger, just the European performance this week was immense as a team, but could you assess in particular the contribution of Darren Clarke both on and off the course for Europe and indeed for the Ryder Cup?

TIGER WOODS: Well just Darren being here was just an inspiration in itself. His play was remarkable, really, considering the loss he's had recently and the things that he is going through, he and his entire family.

For him just to be here is one thing, but on top of that, to go out there and play as well as he did was absolutely remarkable. It was fantastic. Hats off to the quality of player that he is. That's what I kept telling him, that you're a hell of a player, and unfortunately he went out there and did it. (Smiling.) I just think that in the whole scheme of things, when Darren and I sat down at dinner the other night, the whole scheme of things, it puts things in perspective real quick for you when you lose people who are close to you. It's changed his life, and it's made it tougher, but also in a sense it's drawn him closer to his kids, and I think that's something that's going to be even better for him in the future.

Q. For J.J. Henry and Zach Johnson, J.J., were you surprised when Paul McGinley made the concession on the 18th? And for Zach, could you talk to us about the atmosphere that prevailed on the first tee today when you went out to take on Darren Clarke?

J.J. HENRY: Well, I think it shows really what the spirit of this competition is all about. What a gentleman, obviously, Paul is. We all know how much it means to Paul being here, from Ireland. Of course, we did have some extracurricular activities going on at the same time there. You know, it was just, we had a great match, we were neck and neck virtually the whole; I was down early and came back and led and we were virtually all square the last four or five holes. You know, it's just a great match, and you know, well played match. It was obviously, I tip my hat off to him. It was a remarkable thing he did.

ZACH JOHNSON: The first tee, is that what you asked? Okay, sorry. Yeah, that was pretty very inspiring for him I would imagine. It was a very warm welcome. I expected it to be loud, but it was like 80,000 people stadium amassed around one tee box. I felt like I was the away team, you know, playing for the world championship or something in some sport. It was pretty remarkable. Frankly it was like that on every tee box for him. Well deserved, too.

As Tiger said, it's one thing for him to play, but two, to play how well and how hard he played this week is extremely inspirational. I think as a player, we all know what he can do, and how good he really is, but he's an even better person, which it was a fun match, regardless. It was a lot of emotion, obviously more for him, and I don't know, I could have had my A+ game and not so sure I could have beat him. The gods were on his side. He's a great guy.

Q. Tiger, you know a thing or two about how to win major golf tournaments. Do you have any theory as to why the form we see these Europeans put in at Ryder Cups doesn't transfer to major championships? Not every player has one, the likes of Harrington, Clarke, McGinley, Montgomerie, Garcia. Any theory on why these guys can't win a major?

TIGER WOODS: You have to ask them that, what's in their heads. I know that I've been fortunate to win a couple here and there. (Laughter.) I know what it takes to win those events. I won one Ryder Cup, so I kind of know what it takes. When you boil down to it, it becomes 18 holes and it's match play. There's one thing you do realize when you're in a format like that; anything can happen. We see that at La Costa in The Match Play there. Anything can happen in 18 holes. And I think that's what you see, and especially when you have partners that are involved.

The Europeans just seem to feed off of one another. They make more putts than we do. And unfortunately we're just not able to make putts when we had the opportunities to make them, to turn the tide. We've had, from what I've seen just on the highlights alone, how many chances we've had to turn momentum around in the matches. Even the matches that I've been involved in this week, how many times we've been in position to make those momentum turning putts and we just haven't done that, and the Europeans have been doing it all the years that I've been on the teams.

Q. Tom, do you think that the American public's anticipation of the next Ryder Cup at Valhalla will now be increased or diminished?

CAPTAIN TOM LEHMAN: You know, I'm not really sure I have a sense for that. Maybe you as writers maybe even know better than we would as players. I really don't know. I know from a player perspective, I'm sure we'll just keep on going up. There's only so much you can take. But in terms of the public, I don't know.

Q. Stewart, could you talk about going out and getting Sergio this morning? And Tom, if you could talk about were those the kind of red numbers you were looking for from everybody?

STEWART CINK: Well, it was really a dream match up today for me, because I felt like I had something to prove after going 0 2 my first Ryder Cup singles matches. I really wanted to go out there and stay focused and give it 100%. I knew it was going to be tough against Sergio, because he's one of the top two or three guys on their team, and obviously with his record this week, he showed that it's not just a fluke; he's played great. And the crowd support was there for him, along with Darren, probably the two most cheered players on their team. It just felt great to go out and get a great start, really wonderful start for me, four out of the first five holes I made birdie on. He really didn't have an answer. He made a few mistakes.

You know, match play is a lot of times very much about who gets a little bit down on themselves for getting down. The guy that gets down four or five holes early in the match, it's hard to come back from that hole. So felt really good to go out there, and with Tom's trust, putting me in the No. 2 spot to hopefully get a point, and to get one, I felt it was probably my best match play experience of my life today.

CAPTAIN TOM LEHMAN: The second part of your question, did we need to see red numbers, yeah, we did absolutely needed to see red numbers. We needed to see a lot of red and the numbers increasing. We played some tough tough matches. David Toms' match, the first match out, was quite a golf match. David played extremely well, and you know, it could have gone either way. But we needed to get momentum. I mean, sports are all about momentum. You've heard it from everybody. It's all about momentum, it's all about delivering the body blow, so to speak. I remember McGinley talking to him in the match where he was playing, I think Zach made a putt on 17 for birdie and Paul made a downhill slider to halve the hole to take the match to 18. We were talking about that afterwards, and he was just talking about, you know, how it was a huge momentum putt for them.

And that's I think what Tiger was saying; everybody is saying it. Momentum swings on those kind of putts. Momentum swings when you have a chance to either take one away or top somebody. And we just did not make them.

Q. Chris, you came in, you figured to be one of America's kind of go to guys, you were still scrapping even when the outcome was no longer in doubt today. I kind of pose the same question as was posed to Phil. Between the two of you guys, you had the potential to get six points and you came away with a half point. Can you give us your take on that?

CHRIS DiMARCO: Obviously I didn't play well. Yeah, very disappointed in my play this week. I was very excited going out with Phil. I felt like we had a great partnership at the Presidents Cup and we were going to go out and do some damage this week. It goes back to momentum. We just never got momentum. We were riding the wave, and we just never got over it. We just kept getting there. We'd get there and have a chance, and then by not doing it, it would take away the momentum and just never got into it.

Unfortunately, I started to finally feel some, but I was 5 down at the time today. And I started getting you win a couple of holes, and that's what we never did the whole week. We never put two holes back to back the whole week, and that's where you pick up momentum. I was disappointed with my play, but again, you have to take your hat off to them.

MODERATOR: Tom and gentlemen, thank you very much for your time.

European Ryder Cup Team Interview

MODERATOR: Well, Ian Woosnam and his victorious Ryder Cup Team. Ian, it's been an historic day for you, for the team, for the Ryder Cup. Is this now the pinnacle of your life?

CAPTAIN IAN WOOSNAM: I've got to say, this is the pinnacle of my life, because I've won many tournaments around the world. I won a major tournament, I've been No. 1 in the world, and I've got to say, this is the proudest moment of my life.

DES SMYTH: Here, here. Well said. (Applause.)

MODERATOR: And the method in which it was achieved, as well.

CAPTAIN IAN WOOSNAM: Well, when you have 12 fantastic players like this and the back room staff of what I've got, they made my job very easy. And I appreciate coming out strong today, and with a great victory again that we've had, I'll have a word with Paul McGinley later. (Laughter.) It could have been a record. But let's just say, I'm very, very happy.

MODERATOR: Thank you for these remarks, Ian.

Q. Paul and Lee, a lot has been made of Darren's contribution, inspiration, but can you talk about Colin's contribution to the team and what he means to this team, both Lee and Paul. Lee?

COLIN MONTGOMERIE: Careful, lads, carefully. Make it good.

LEE WESTWOOD: Monty is simply a leader on the course and off it. Excuse me, my voice is going rapidly. He's proven today to be an inspiration when he goes out first. He's a pretty quick player as well, so he likes going out first.

SERGIO GARCIA: He was really quick.

LEE WESTWOOD: Old man, David Toms, he was running around. Was that eight in that last singles?

COLIN MONTGOMERIE: Apparently so, I got lucky. (Applause.)

MODERATOR: Colin, your game today, it was important to get off to a flyer, and you did it.

COLIN MONTGOMERIE: It doesn't matter what position you play on the team, and I was just delighted to be part of this team, never mind where I played. Ian thought it was good I went out first, I'm probably the quickest player on the team, and it was important that I got off to a good start and got some blue on the board early, which I did from the third hole onwards. And never allowed it to get back to square. All I would like to say is I'm very proud to be part of the 12 here yet again, and to equal the record score in Oakland Hills. We never thought that would be possible again for many, many years, and we've done it the very next time and I'm very proud to be part of that team.

Q. Besides Henrik's winning putt, what was the most defining moment of your weekend?

CAPTAIN IAN WOOSNAM: Well, I've got to say, I think you all know that question. I don't think I need to answer it. I think you've seen that emotion on the 16th green.

Q. Ian, or Woosie?

CAPTAIN IAN WOOSNAM: That's my name.

Q. I'm getting confused. Your style of captaincy was completely different to Tom Lehman's captaincy. I thought he was a fantastic captain and I've been watching him closely for months, and your style of captaincy is less is more captaincy and it was obviously the right way to go about doing it. Would you like to make a comment on that?

CAPTAIN IAN WOOSNAM: Basically, when you've got, again, 12 great players, it makes your job easy. It was difficult to come in here with a game plan. I had to see how the guys were playing at the time. I have to say, I was disappointed to leave any player out in the foursomes in the first day. You know, I left out three players who were in the top 14 of the world, and that was a very difficult decision. But I did think this course was a very long course, and it demanded length off the tee. And I used that, and I think it's worked out successfully. Every single person here today has contributed half a point or a point, which is unbelievable.

Q. Question for Paul and then Henrik. Paul, has it crossed your mind since that you could have created a record if perhaps you'd made J.J. make that putt, and what are you going to the Captain? And to Henrik, obviously a very momentous occasion for you. Can you just give us some idea of how you feel that you're the man that holed the winning putt?

PAUL McGINLEY: Yes, it has crossed my mind. I have been told on several occasions. (Laughter.) And I'll tell you what, it's not finished yet. But, you know, it was a gesture that was done in the right spirit. It was done I'd been thinking about it before he crossed, before that clown came over, the streaker.

LEE WESTWOOD: It wasn't even a woman? I haven't seen it yet. I'm glad. (Laughter).

PAUL McGINLEY: I asked Des what to do. He wouldn't make a decision on it.

DES SMYTH: (Laughing .)

PAUL McGINLEY: Thanks for helping me out, Des. I don't want to make a big deal about it to be honest. It was a great team performance. We won by a huge margin. We really thumped them, and I'm very proud of all the rest of the players on the team. And maybe I'll just take this opportunity to just mention Heather, Darren's wife who has passed away. She would be right in the middle of all this if she was here, and Big D, you've been great this week, and we're so proud of the way you've handled everything. And not only that, but the way you've played as well. All credit, we're one big family, and we miss Heather dearly. (Applause.)

CAPTAIN IAN WOOSNAM: Paul, I'll let you off now.

HENRIK STENSON: Just everybody went out today to try to do the job in the matches, and I was no different. Holing the winning putt on that hole or not, it doesn't really matter. As Paul said, it was a magnificent team performance, and it just happened to be that way. I'm also very pleased and proud to be part of this team and the way we played this week.

Q. Darren, I'm wondering if you can talk about how you ignited in that match of yours. Suddenly you came on incredibly well, and then at the end, when you talk about your golf, if you can just reply to what Ian said.

DARREN CLARKE: About what, about how I was feeling on the 16th green?

Q. The emotion at the end.

DARREN CLARKE: Obviously the emotion was huge. I'm delighted Woosie chose to give me a pick, along with Lee here. It's been fantastic to be part of this team. The support I've had this week from my teammates on this table, from their wives, from the American team, the American wives, captains, vice captains, everything. The crowd has been very, very touching. It's meant a lot to me, and to contribute to the team and score some points for the team has been great. As I said whenever I told Woosie I was able to play for the team, if I wasn't able to benefit or contribute to the team, I wouldn't have accepted. I'm just glad I was able to give my teammates a few points.

Q. And what about your golf this afternoon?

DARREN CLARKE: My golf this afternoon was okay. I found it very difficult, I got off to a pretty decent start. I got up a lead. I was looking at the board sorry, Woosie, but I was looking at the board a little bit. I found it very difficult to not get ahead of myself and keep my emotions in check whenever it was obvious it could come down to my putt. I lost myself a few times out there, but I managed to keep on going and do what I had to do.

Unfortunately Henrik here fortunately Henrik holed the winning putt. I didn't think you got that one there I thought it had gone over your head. (Laughter.) Henrik holed it, but I'm just delighted to have helped my teammates here. We have been an unbelievable team this week and to perform the way that we have done and play the way we have done, every guy from No. 1 to No. 12, not that there's anybody in any order from No. 1 to No. 12, has been fantastic to be part of the team. (Laughter.)

Q. How has it been playing together and representing apart from Europe, a small country in golf tradition, compared to Scotland or Ireland or these big countries, and how do you feel about representing Spain in this European victory?

JOSE MARIA OLAZÃBAL: Well, it's not the first time. (Laughter.) I think Spain has been well represented all through the years, well before Sergio and I, with Garrido and so on, and Rivero. There's many, many Spanish players that have played on the European side. We're just happy to follow that trend, that line. It's a very special event, very unique. The more you play, the more you realize that, and especially when years go by. You know, hopefully we'll do great things for golf in Spain, but the most important thing is just to support the team and contribute to the team, and that's what we're here for.

SERGIO GARCIA: Well said. Should I answer in Spanish? Come on, Renee, you're not getting this? I thought you were working on your Spanish. (Answer in Spanish.) Should I say it in English? (Laughter.)

DAVID HOWELL: Well said.

SERGIO GARCIA: It was, wasn't it?

Q. A question for Woosie, and this will be in English.

SERGIO GARCIA: Why?

Q. On the day you accepted the job, you said you would be very happy with a one point win. Are you amazed you are sitting here with another nine point win, and can you talk about the potential of the team, as well the talent they have showed this week?

CAPTAIN IAN WOOSNAM: Yeah, 18 months ago, when they asked me to be captain, any victory would be fantastic, and to walk away with the same record Bernhard Langer has, I think it is, isn't it, is unbelievable. It is a dream come true for me. I've been worried about it. Been worried about it for 18 months, because it's an unbelievable responsibility to be a captain. It's all right standing there as a player, because you're only one person you can letdown is yourself. I've had some criticism over the last few months, but that's gone and past and we've got the victory we wanted to and I have 12 tremendous guys to help me, thank you very much.

And it just shows, I've been saying for a long time now, there was so many players that were in the team, and I could have gone down, how many guys have won so many tournaments, you know, we could have had two teams out here. I'm not saying that we would have got this result, but it just shows the potential of European golf. I think we got strength and depth for a long time to come, and I think the future of the Ryder Cup is going to look great for Europe.

Q. Similar question for Colin.

COLIN MONTGOMERIE: I think there's just 11 potential players on this team, and me. I'm well past that potential stage.

Q. You said you were surprised about the nine point victory again, but do you think this shows that potential may have swung to that there is now a wider gap and a wide gap between your side and theirs in terms of talent and depth, and do you think that this might signal a European domination for a period of time?

SERGIO GARCIA: For the last seven years, at least for the last seven years.

COLIN MONTGOMERIE: Well, we've won five out of the last six.

SERGIO GARCIA: That's true.

COLIN MONTGOMERIE: If it wasn't for a very difficult Sunday at Brookline, we'd have been six out of six. So that's fairly dominant. (Laughter.) I think that we have strength and depth on our European Tour. And as Ian so rightly said, we could have put almost two teams out this particular year as good as the one sitting here tonight. We have a superb strength and depth now in Europe that we haven't had when I first started playing in '88, and we have a superb strength and depth. And we look forward to Kentucky in two years' time.

SERGIO GARCIA: And hopefully we won't get asked if the Nationwide Tour is the second best tour in the world anymore.

LUKE DONALD: Behind Europe.

SERGIO GARCIA: Yeah.

Q. You told us on Tuesday that you made a special DVD for watching with a special theme was and could you tell us if it was history or if you have your own Welsh ministration on it or if you had Paul McGinley's record on it? Could you tell us what the theme was of the DVD?

CAPTAIN IAN WOOSNAM: TWI made a collection of obviously fantastic moments of the Ryder Cups of the past, and the guys who have

SERGIO GARCIA: Woosie, you're telling our secret.

CAPTAIN IAN WOOSNAM: Oh, exactly, I forgot about that, Sergio.

SERGIO GARCIA: Don't tell, please.

CAPTAIN IAN WOOSNAM: We just made an emotional tape which was a tape which was just made to fire the guys up, and I think it did the job. I think that's proved in the score.

Q. A question for Paul Casey and David Howell. You two guys are battling it out at the top of the Order of Merit, but you came together this week. Does that signify how The European Team gels in a competition like this?

DAVID HOWELL: Well, at the end of the day, when you sit up at the Ryder Cup, all individual results and how things are going, Order of Merits and tournament victories just become irrelevant. We're 12 guys here and we're playing for Europe, and it's just irrelevant when we get here. You know, I was delighted, Paul over took me last week (laughter), which I hadn't thought about at all. (Laughter.) But, you know, I was just pleased at punch to play with Paul again yesterday. It just goes to show that it's just not an individual game, the Ryder Cup. It's all about the team, and I think we do that better than whether we do that better than the Americans is up for debate, but we do that as well as anybody, and pleased as punch to play with Paul and I just wish I could stop saying "pleased as punch," to be honest with you. (Laughter.)

CAPTAIN IAN WOOSNAM: I think you've got to sum it up with what Paul Casey put it in the paper last week. He would rather win a proud as punch, yeah. (Laughter.) He would rather win a Ryder Cup than win a million pounds. That's just unbelievable. It just shows how much commitment this team has got.

PAUL CASEY: There is no tournament in the world that winning as an individual is a wonderful thing, and last week was a great victory for me.

COLIN MONTGOMERIE: Pleased as punch there.

PAUL CASEY: I haven't won majors, I haven't won Order of Merits, but in my career, I haven't experienced anything like winning a Ryder Cup. There's just nothing that compares to this. And to share it with more than 11 guys, I mean, the whole back room staff, it's just a very, very special thing. This provides this is history, and this provides many wonderful memories.

SERGIO GARCIA: Pleased as punch.

Q. Paul, can you talk about what it means for you guys to know that you guys have someone like Colin on the team that performs as well as he does in this competition?

COLIN MONTGOMERIE: Be nice. I'm old.

CAPTAIN IAN WOOSNAM: You think you're old?

PAUL CASEY: Woosie, do you want to answer that? You know Colin better than I.

CAPTAIN IAN WOOSNAM: Do I want to answer it?

SERGIO GARCIA: They have got Walt Disney, we've got Colin. (Laughter.)

COLIN MONTGOMERIE: I think I'll take that as a compliment.

CAPTAIN IAN WOOSNAM: I think Colin Montgomerie, I think he has been an unbelievable player for Europe, and he's won, is it eight Order of Merits?

COLIN MONTGOMERIE: Yes.

CAPTAIN IAN WOOSNAM: And if there's anybody that deserves to win a major tournament, it's Colin Montgomerie. Never been beaten in a singles, ever, in a Ryder Cup.

SERGIO GARCIA: Here, here.

(Team applauds Colin.)

Q. Darren, could you just explain to us, please, what Ian Woosnam's captaincy has meant to you, how it's helped you, and on a lighter note, just what you made of his attempt to down a pint of Guinness in one go, please.

DARREN CLARKE: He took ten seconds too long to down that pint of Guinness.

CAPTAIN IAN WOOSNAM: A 10th quicker than you did, and I'll prove it now if you want to get them out on the table. (Laughter.)

DARREN CLARKE: I'm a little bit younger than you are. Just mind your age here.

CAPTAIN IAN WOOSNAM: There's nothing like experience. (Laughter.)

DARREN CLARKE: If you keep up with me, you'll be doing okay, don't worry about that.

CAPTAIN IAN WOOSNAM: We'll see about that tonight.

SERGIO GARCIA: There's a challenge here.

CAPTAIN IAN WOOSNAM: No doubt about it.

DARREN CLARKE: Guinness, that's why picked me for the team, there was no other reason whatsoever.

CAPTAIN IAN WOOSNAM: When I said we're going to have a party, we are going to have a party, boys.

DARREN CLARKE: What was the question? (Laughter.)

Q. That was the most interesting part, but just what the captaincy of Ian has meant for you and how it's helped you get through this.

DARREN CLARKE: Woosie has been great. All of us sitting here, he's spoken to us, he's told us what to do, but he's had 12 players here this week playing well, and I've been part of this is my fifth Ryder Cup, and I can't remember an occasion before where we had 12 guys all playing so well. So I think Woosie's only dilemma this week was who to rest and who to play. You can see from the result that he chose wisely. Thankfully, thanks to Woosie giving me Lee to play with for my first couple of days, which has been a great friend and ally and all sort of stuff with Lee, Woosie's plans and everything came together. And he's been a great captain. I'm sure all of the rest of the players would agree. He's done everything absolutely perfect. And I think the bottom line is, the score reflects that, and if you take a look at what we've done this week, I think it's pretty huge to follow that up with the result in Detroit a couple of years ago, to follow that up and do it again this week. I think that says everything about Woosie.

Q. Question for Colin similar to the one Darren has just answered. You've played under a number of captains, can you sum up Woosie's captaincy?

COLIN MONTGOMERIE: I just have to reiterate what Darren has just said. I think that respect, the one thing that a team need of a captain is respect, and there was 12 members of this team that respected Ian Woosnam as a person and as a captain. We wanted to win for him, and that's what we do on this team. I don't hole a putt for me; I hole a putt for Ian; I hole a putt for Darren or Lee or Padraig or well, I tried to hole a putt for Padraig, I missed. (Laughter.)

PADRAIG HARRINGTON: (Raising a hand.)

COLIN MONTGOMERIE: We play for each other, and we played for Ian Woosnam this week, and we're all just thrilled, thrilled, for him, and for Glen. And yes, we're going to have a good party later on.

Q. This is a question for Luke. Luke (chants of L u u u u uke.)

LUKE DONALD: (Bowing.)

SERGIO GARCIA: Use the force.

LUKE DONALD: The only player with my own chant, it's pretty special.

Q. You played amateur golf for England and you played college golf in the States. How do you think the respective systems would prepare a player for this sort of competition?

CAPTAIN IAN WOOSNAM: (Chanting L u u u u uke.)

Q. You played stroke play as a college golfer in the States; I just wonder how do the respective systems prepare you for something like this?

SERGIO GARCIA: Wow.

DARREN CLARKE: That's a curveball.

SERGIO GARCIA: Think about this one.

LUKE DONALD: It's a few years ago since I've been amateur.

Obviously I worked my way up through the rankings in England through the EGU and their systems, and then I went to America for four years and I think the college system

SERGIO GARCIA: (Nodding off to sleep.)

LUKE DONALD: The college system over there was great. More and more guys from Europe and England are going over to America because they do have a great college system and I think I wouldn't be as good a player as I am now if I had not been there. But it's not for everyone and um, well, I don't know what else to say, really.

SERGIO GARCIA: Don't say anything.

LUKE DONALD: Okay, I won't say any more. (Laughter.)

Q. Sergio, can you just talk about your match this morning? Cink obviously had a hot putter and he had that chip in on the last hole and came back and hit that long putt. Can you just talk about how that hole went?

SERGIO GARCIA: No, I don't think he had a hot putter; I think his putter melted, must have melted. I've never seen anything like it. We came out in the rain, and you know, he starts birdie, birdie on me, and then I birdie 3 to get it back to 1 down. And I'm thinking, well, here we go. And then he goes birdie, birdie again. So I'm playing pretty decent on tough conditions and 1 under par through 5, and I'm 3 down.

So when I got to 5, I thought, well, should I make this short and go help my partners or should I at least try to get a bit farther down the road. So I saw Woosie on 8 and he gave me a bit of a fist pump and a bit of a charge, and I won that hole and I thought I was coming back nicely. I made a great he got quite lucky on 10 to make par after hitting the fence on the left. And then I birdied the next, which was nice, to get back to 3 down. And then he holes a 60 footer on me on 12 and then another 40 footer on the next; I have to make a 20 footer to halve. And then to finish up on 15, I chip in and he rolls off a 20 footer, so thank you very much, and see you in two years. (Laughter.)

DAVID HOWELL: What happened on the 6th? You missed that one.

SERGIO GARCIA: I missed about a five footer.

DAVID HOWELL: I'd like that. (Laughter.)

Q. I want to pass this off to the older players on the team, whoever would like to answer.

SERGIO GARCIA: Pleased as punch.

Q. Colin, you are an older player now, Darren, Monty, Lee?

DARREN CLARKE: What about him? He's older than all of us. (Pointing to Olazabal.)

COLIN MONTGOMERIE: At least ten years younger than I am.

Q. Where does this team rank, this European Team rank, among the teams that you've played on?

DARREN CLARKE: Monty?

COLIN MONTGOMERIE: Tom Lehman's father came up to me on the 17th, behind the 17th, and he said that gentleman, Tom Lehman's father, and he said to me that this is the best European Team that's ever been assembled, and I'd have to agree with him.

Q. Why?

COLIN MONTGOMERIE: Because we're bloody good. (Laughter and applause.)

Q. Padraig, you're too quiet over there. Come into the party. Can you talk about

PADRAIG HARRINGTON: How I won the Ryder Cup? Yes.

Q. What was it like for you as an Irish player? What was it like for yourself there, Padraig, just coming in as an Irish player, expectations around you?

PADRAIG HARRINGTON: I'm actually relieved. That would be my biggest emotion now, because I really wanted to win the Ryder Cup in Ireland. I didn't want a situation, we won the last two Ryder Cups and I felt the U.S. Team would be up for this one, and I really didn't want to lose a Ryder Cup in Ireland. You know, this is a big occasion for Ireland. It's the first time it's here. Who knows when it will be back. So it was very important that we won the Ryder Cup in Ireland. For me as an Irish person, it was a big deal. So one of the emotions I definitely felt after it was all over is relief that we won it, that we didn't lose, because it hasn't been here before, and it won't be here for another few years anyway. So, yeah, it's a big deal to us. It's great that we've won. I'm sure, like all the European players, we're very proud to have won, but all the more special for the Irish guys to have won in Ireland.

Q. Gentlemen, you're going to have a celebration tonight. I would like to know

SERGIO GARCIA: Really?

Q. Who will be the last man standing?

DARREN CLARKE: (Raising hand.)

LEE WESTWOOD: (Raising hands.)

DARREN CLARKE: I may not be standing, but I'll still be there.

LEE WESTWOOD: He's getting a little bit old now. He normally falls asleep in the car and I have to carry him home.

LUKE DONALD: Ian has an advantage with his center of gravity.

CAPTAIN IAN WOOSNAM: I'm already on the ground, aren't I?

Q. Colin, on Wednesday or Thursday, I think it was, you referred to the potential of having a role on the course. You said you would reveal more on Sunday what that role specifically was. Can you reveal that now?

COLIN MONTGOMERIE: Not really.

SERGIO GARCIA: Next question? Next question?

CAPTAIN IAN WOOSNAM: Just getting out there and holing putts, winning the match, that's what it's all about, isn't it.

COLIN MONTGOMERIE: That's my role, really, to be honest with you. I didn't mean to expand on that so much. I just felt that I have a role here, and Ian obviously felt that I had one to go out first again. And it doesn't really matter where you are, but it was important I got off to a good start and that's what it was. Hopefully it gave the team a little bit of a breather that there was blue on the board early and very, very quickly, and that was my job. Whether I'll play in one of these again, I'm not sure, but it's always nice to lead off and to win.

Q. For any of you guys, all of you guys have played in the United States, some of you have lived there from time to time, you all talk about how special it is to win the Ryder Cup. Is it because you're beating the United States? Would it mean as much if you're beating Asia in a Presidents Cup kind of thing, or is it because it's the United States?

SERGIO GARCIA: The Presidents Cup, with all due respect, is not the Ryder Cup.

Q. So that would be a yes, because it's the use.

LUKE DONALD: The Ryder Cup is the U.S. versus Europe. That's just what it is.

SERGIO GARCIA: There's nothing sweeter than beating the Americans. (Laughter.)

Q. Lee, I was just thinking, you look a bit the way you normally do after the celebration. I wonder what the problem was health wise after Munich, if you're only going to play when you feel sick?

LEE WESTWOOD: Thanks, yeah. I'm feeling a little under the weather, but Darren

DARREN CLARKE: Face it, you know he's a hypochondriac. All the rest of the guys on the team know he's a hypochondriac. He's always going to be sick. It just so happened that he got through it today. You know he's always sick. He always plays his best when he's sick. Why do you ask him? You know he's sick. (Laughter.) Do you think that's going to stop him from having any less pints of Guinness tonight? No.

LEE WESTWOOD: I'm feeling all right, thanks, David.

CAPTAIN IAN WOOSNAM: I think I'd just like to say that, you know, that we are a team, and I've had a great support team, as well, behind me, Peter Baker, Des Smyth, Sandy Lyle and David Russell, and they have been brilliant. And your support of the press, as well, you've been brilliant this week, as well. Thank you very much. And I know Paul spoke a little bit, what he said about Heather, but every single one of us have dedicated this to her, and Darren, thank you very much. (Players applauding.)

The transcripts for the above interviews are courtesy of ASAP Sports.

No comments: