Friday, September 08, 2006

Catching Up

I taped the first round of the European Masters yesterday and then taped the second round today. I came home sick from work around noon, I woke up with a cold and decided working 8 hours on a Friday while sick was just stupid. So, since I came home early, I was able to watch the first round coverage and some of the second round. The one thing that struck me most about what I saw was Sergio's attitude in the interview after his first round. He was happy and upbeat and spirited. I've never seen him that way. I don't know if it's the new girlfriend, the fact that he has a home there and feels like he has the home advantage, if it's because he's the defending champion, or if it's because he is probably the top draw at the event, but something has him feeling really happy. Whatever it is, he needs to bottle it up and take it with him everywhere he goes.

As for Michelle Wie, I could write a dissertation on all the comments and such, but I'm not going to. She missed another cut. Some people say that missing all these cuts will affect her mentally. Well, I think it's better that she knows failure rather than a bunch of easy success. Look at Tiger Woods. He won everything as an amateur and wins a lot on the PGA tour, but when he hits a bad shot he throws a worse tantrum than my niece and nephew combined. He apparently can't take failure that well because he's known more success. Michelle Wie will be better able to handle failure later on in her life for having all these missed cuts now.

On to the Canadian Open - I watched some of this today. Justin Rose is again doing well. And so are Arron Oberholser, Camilo Villegas, Sean O'Hair and Brett Quigley. Eric Axley, whom I've had the spotlight on all year in the sidebar, is one shot out of the lead after two rounds - finally something to spotlight. Paul Azinger, Billy Andrade and Peter Lonard are also playing on the weekend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

jibber jabber blabber bibber ... i think that is more lucid than your fibber nibbler