Monday, February 16, 2009

Catching Up

Okay, so I haven't yet blogged about the Maybank Malaysian Open or the postponed final round of the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am. Yesterday I was in book heaven, sorting out all of my many, many romance novels and packing them away in plastic storage containers.

As for the MMO - American AK won! Hahaha. I just had to do that. I mean Anthony Kang, not Anthony Kim. I know, I know, everyone is cashing in on that too. Louis Oosthuizen came on strong in the final two rounds to finish really well. And at the end, there were about 5 or 6 guys who could have won. Too bad Gareth Maybin did win. It would have been a good headline "Maybin wins Maybank". Kang said after the win that he doesn't like the wind or the cold so he doesn't know where he might be playing in the future. I have to agree with him that I don't like the cold either. And I think he should play where he wants to and not where the money is. He will be a lot happier that way.

AT&T - Bad weather forced CBS to play old footage from a prior year yesterday. What did they choose? Why, Phil Mickelson, of course. Because as you know, the media is in the business of making news, not covering it. Why show last year's event with Dudley Hart's great underdog story (which they didn't create but only reported on) when they could try to recreate Phil as the #1 in absence of Tiger? Phil's play has sucked so far this year, but that didn't stop CBS from trying to build him up by showing his win from two years ago. I can only imagine if Sergio does manage to take the #1 spot for a week (which I don't think is likely if he doesn't get off his butt and start playing), the media will be showing video of every missed putt he's had in the last three years in an effort to create a new reality more to their liking.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is interesting that you point out. I am aware of one sports journalist (not golf journo), who was proofreading the newspaper page before it was going to print and this is what he did.. When he spotted the Maybank Malaysian Open story, he immediately brought to the attention of his sports editor and the golf reporter a glaring error in the story. He said “Dude, I think you’ve got it wrong. Shouldn’t it be Kim instead of Kang?”

I cannot even blame him for that. There was just so much talk about Kim at the Malaysian Open that it seemed quite likely that he would be in the reckoning through out. He almost didn’t make the cut. A birdie on the final hole just kept him alive in the tournament but he way too low on the leaderboard to have had any sort of impact on the weekend.

And a part of the problem also lies with Anthony Kang. He is way too good a player to not have won a title in so many years. Over the past few years, a number of times he has been in contention in the Asian Tour events but never managed to break the spell that had him bound for such a long time. I think this win will surely open the door for many more wins for him.

Cheers

Andy
HomeofGolf.TV