Saturday, October 07, 2006

Ryder Cup Thoughts

Since they've started showing the Big Break crap on the Golf Channel every time I turn around, I've had a lot of extra time to get on the internet and read all kinds of stories about the US Ryder Cup team and how the next team should be picked and what's wrong with the team etc. So, as I have some free time, I've decided to post some thoughts of my own on the subject of the troubled US team. Keep in mind I don't play golf, I just watch it.

First, I am pro-Europe. Sorry, but I can't cheer against Sergio, Jose Maria, Luke and Paul Casey.

Next, I think the main problems with the US team are:
1. US players are more individualistic than the European players. You don't hear about any of the US players being good friends and hanging out like you do the Europeans. This translates into individual pursuits of individual goals. When the US players are required to work together for a team goal, it's a foreign concept to them and they don't know how to succeed. I've often thought about what kids in Europe and kids in America think about golf as they grow up. Here's a possible scenario: European kid: "When I grow up I want to win the Open or make the winning putt for the Ryder Cup team." American kid: "When I grow up I want to win the Masters or the US Open." The European kid identifies with the Open and the Ryder Cup because those are the two biggest events that affect him at his young age. He doesn't identify with the US Open or the Masters. How long has it been since a European player has won either of those? Plus they are played in America - that country far, far away.

2. US players don't seem to have as strong an appreciation for the Ryder Cup as the Europeans do. The Europeans could probably recite chapter and verse every Ryder Cup event for the last 20 years. Knowing the history of the Ryder Cup cultivates passion and a winning attitude. Playing not to get beat isn't as strong a reason as playing for the teams of Ryder Cup past and carrying on/becoming part of that prestigious legacy.

3. Here's the controversial one: Tiger's dominance on the US tour has resulted in a complacency among the other players on the tour. They know if he's in the field, they are playing for second since he wins dang near one-third of the events he enters. Therefore, the other players don't develop that take no prisoners approach that helps a player finish off a tournament and secure the win. This in itself is not a death-blow to the American team if Tiger performs at his dominant level at Ryder Cup time. But, (see #1) Tiger doesn't play well with others. And he can only seem to make a difference in the single matches. You all might disagree, but you need only to look at the European Tour to see that there may be something to what I've just written. There is no dominant Tiger-esque player on that tour and look how successful they are at Ryder Cup. It could be because they have more confidence in their game as they have been in the winner's circle more than once. They have that experience to help build their confidence. They don't have that "I'm playing for second because so & so can't be beat" voice in their heads. The Europeans still have the "on any given day anyone can win" concept guiding them.

What do I think can be done to help the US team next time? Ryder Cup Study for one thing. Have the top 40 on the Ryder Cup points list study the history of Ryder Cup, watch old film, listen to stories from past participants. They need to identify with what makes Ryder Cup so great so they know what they are playing for. More experience with team events would also help. Whether it's a friendly get together or legitimate tournaments, the top 40 on the list need to play together to get them out of the individualistic frame of mind. And they can't team with the same people all the time. They should change up. Extra emphasis on the Ryder Cup would also help, not a monetary incentive because there couldn't be enough money offered to inspire the likes of Phil Mickelson and Tiger Woods to play better - they have more money than they can count as it is. Extra emphasis could run into something like a special end of the year award for team mvp of the year or having the Hall of Fame criteria allow special consideration for exceptional Ryder Cup play. Why did I say top 40 - if they start at the beginning of the two year period, then focusing on the top 40 will allow for any movement in the rankings over the two year period.

If I were to build my own Ryder Cup team, who would be on it? Here's my current list:
Davis Love
Lucas Glover
Zach Johnson
Scott Verplank
Brett Quigley
Arron Oberholser
J.J. Henry
Vaughn Taylor
Steve Stricker
J. B. Holmes
Ryan Moore
Jerry Kelly

This list has a couple of veterans, a couple of fighters who've battled through low points and are experiencing some measure of success, and new guys who actually want to be a part of the team. Davis Love and Lucas Glover wanted to be on the team so much they made a special trip to the K Club to play after their British Open week ended. Zach Johnson and Scott Verplank had the best anecdote that I heard from this year's Ryder Cup team - Zach calling Scott in the middle of the night excited about playing the next day and Scott telling Lehman "we're going to win this match." Arron Oberholser plays well and had expressed the opinion that if the points system was changed to give point to the top ten ranked Americans in each tour event rather than the Americans finishing in the top ten of the events, then he'd be right in there. Brett Quigley and Steve Stricker have been around for many, many tournaments and have that never say die attitude. They don't give up. J. J. Henry and Vaughn Taylor need to make a return trip to the Ryder Cup - they have unfinished business. Henry needs to do more than just halve a match and Taylor needs to play the matches he should have played at this year's event. As for J. B. Holmes, Ryan Moore, and Jerry Kelly - Holmes can electrify the crowds with his long hitting and he's young enough to embrace the Ryder Cup for it's history and hasn't been beaten down by the "playing for second place" mentality. Moore's natural golfing ability makes him dangerous - he can sneak up on you with a good round because his game isn't focused as much on mechanics and tons of practice. Jerry Kelly reminds me of my little chihuahua. She latches on to my foot and ankle when I go to the door and doesn't let go for anything.

So, those are my Ryder Cup thoughts. Hopefully, I'm either dead wrong and people listen to me, or I'm right and no one listens to me because I would really like to see Europe win in 2008 (even though I did say I wanted J.B. Holmes on the US team since the matches take place in Kentucky). If it does end up being an Azinger vs Faldo captaincy in 2008, I might just have go see it.

No comments: