Friday, October 13, 2006

Open de Espana Senior - Round 1

/noticias.info/ Greg Norman marked his first competitive start of the year in Europe with a round of three under par 69 at the Oki Castellón Open de España Senior, which left the two-time Open Champion four shots behind Gordon J Brand at the top of the first round leaderboard.

Despite playing in only his fifth tournament of 2006, Norman showed glimpses of the talent that has brought him 91 victories worldwide, particularly when he holed his second shot from 68 yards out at the par four 11th hole.

In addition to the eagle, the Australian had three birdies and two bogeys to finish day one at Club de Golf Mediterráneo, north of Valencia, in a share of ninth place on three under par.

Brand, who was second to Norman in the 1986 Open Championship at Turnberry, leads on seven under following a bogey-free round of 65 that he described as his best 18 holes of the year.

The Englishman is one stroke clear of compatriot Carl Mason, who is chasing his third consecutive victory on the European Seniors Tour, and two clear of Ireland’s Eamonn Darcy, Canadian Bill Hardwick and Argentine Luis Carbonetti in third place.

Order of Merit leader Sam Torrance of Scotland is well placed on four under par - following a round that contained eight birdies - and features alongside Tony Allen of England, John Benda of the United States and Bobby Lincoln of South Africa.

Norman, who was watched by his daughter Morgan and her boyfriend, Spanish Ryder Cup star Sergio Garcia, as well as Villarreal footballer Diego Forlan, was satisfied with his return to action.

He said: “Generally speaking I played okay, given that the biggest deal for me is concentration. It does not matter what type of golf course it is, or what the event is, you have got to concentrate. I was in and out of concentration today as I haven’t played much golf in a long time.”

In fact, Norman has managed just five tournaments in a year ruined by a second operation on his troublesome right knee. He had hoped to be back for the US Senior Open, The Open Championship and The Senior British Open Championship, but was forced to postpone his return until the autumn.

“I am unable to practice much. If I go out and hit a lot of balls then I wake up the next morning in pain. Sometimes it’s my back, sometimes my knee. I don’t feel like going through that – it’s not worth it as I have many other things that I am involved in,” he added.

Brand, by contrast, is a regular on the range and his efforts appeared to pay off as he compiled a beautifully controlled round that contained seven birdies and 11 pars.

The pick of his birdies came at the tough par four closing hole – one of only four there all day – when he pulled an eight iron around the trees to within six foot of the pin.

Brand said: “I was out in 32 after four birdies and just kept going nice and steady on the back nine, before that pleasing finish. I got up and down from the bunker to birdie the 17th and then made another birdie at the last, which was playing long today. That’s probably my best round of the year – it is certainly the most under par.”

While the former Ryder Cup player searches for his maiden title as a senior, fellow Englishman Mason is trying to secure his third victory in as many events after returning to form with wins at the European Senior Masters and The Midas Group English Seniors Open.

Mason, whose highlight was a 35 foot putt for an eagle three at the 13th, said: “I felt good out there today. After the two wins I am a bit more relaxed, enjoying it like I was when I was on my good run. It’s a nice feeling again.

“I have got the feeling back into my swing and I am standing over the ball with much more confidence, which is basically what it is all about.

“The Order of Merit is probably not going to happen unless I win the last three events. All I can do is to try and keep playing this well and hope for the best. Greg being here makes my task that bit harder, but that’s what competition is all about: trying to beat the best players. It’s great to see Greg here.”

Last year’s joint runner-up, Spain’s José Rivero, who at third on the Order of Merit standings is the player in the field best placed to catch Torrance, made a steady start with a round of two under par 70.

Rivero was in the group with Norman and Club de Golf Mediterráneo professional Victor Garcia, who was round in level par.

No comments: