Friday, July 20, 2007

More on the British Open

Now that I've had supper, fed the dogs and cat and played with the puppies, I have more time to comment on the tournament.

Miguel Angel Jimenez is tied for 3rd after the second round. Spaniard watch should be pretty easy tomorrow since Sergio will be in the last group and Miguel in the second to last. Last year after the British Open, I posted a letter to Sergio in which I urged him to either play well when paired with Tiger or separate himself from Tiger so I could watch Sergio and not have to suffer with Tiger Suck Up time. Well, Sergio's doing his part to keep the coverage focused on him.

Rory McIlroy didn't have a good second round, but he's still in the tournament. He's the 18 year old Irishman who's turning pro. He said yesterday that he plans to play the European Tour for a couple of years before thinking about the American PGA Tour. I swear he looks 15. And if you had a chance to check out his swing, then you'll agree with me that it's pretty awesome.

And I would be remiss if I didn't mention Boo Weekley's designer camo/hunter look. Be honest, how many of you were looking for a big extended cab, red Ford 4WD pick-up with the gun rack in the back window? The Golf Channel missed a great opportunity to follow Boo around Scotland and get his impressions of the food and customs there. Boo's doing great at the British Open this year. I think he's the big surprise of the tournament. It might be worth it to hear Boo give an acceptance speech in Scotland after winning the Open. Just something to think about...

And related news, Jean Van de Velde apparently has Mono. That's really good news - it isn't anything more serious than that. A lady I work with missed two or three weeks with Mono and when she came back, she was still exhausted. So, I hope people out there aren't going to be taking this diagnosis lightly and start making fun of him or criticize him.

No comments: