Monday, July 16, 2007

British Open Picks

Right at the outset, just know that I have no expectation that these picks will actually win or even finish well this year. I figure since I got lucky with my US Open dark horse pick, I have no luck left. Considering I got stuck on 4 months of jury duty right after that, I think it's safe to say that any luck I might have had was indeed used on Angel Cabrera. I hope he appreciates it.

Anyway, here are my picks for The Open:

Winner: Angel Cabrera. Why not go with what works? It's a tough course and he's a tough player.

Contender: Carl Petterson. I have this notion that Carnoustie might not care about someone's high-priced technical golf swing. It might love a player instead of a student, i.e. someone who just plays rather than someone who's worried about his alignment or swing plane. And he played well last year at The Open and last week at the John Deere.

Dark Horse: Ta-da!! Finally he makes an appearance in the picks - I'm picking Sergio Garcia for a dark horse winner. In the last 6 years, he's had 5 top ten finishes, with the last two years finishing T5. Not that I think he will win, I just don't have that feeling about him. His whole game's been off this year, not just the putting. But we'll see.

No comments: