Wednesday, November 22, 2006

The Way of the Shark

I read Greg Norman's book today. It was very interesting, but not so interesting at the same time. I tended to skip a lot of the business talk - there's a reason I have a Bachelor's Degree in Accounting that I don't use. There were many good stories about his life in this book. And yes, he put to paper his side of the World Tour controversy.

A quote from the book, page 202: "People tend to believe what they hear. Rather than try to find out whether it's true or not, they formulate an opinion that is tough to change." I kept this in mind while reading the rest of the book and remembering what I had read in the first 201 pages. Norman disclosed many interesting facts regarding the PGA Tour's rules and how people interpret those rules. I won't discuss them here because all I know about it is what I've just read in Norman's book and I would feel more comfortable learning other people's points of view on all of it before saying anything. Will I learn any other points of view? Probably not. I don't really have that kind of burning desire to drown myself in PGA Tour bureaucracy. I get enough bureaucracy in my real life with my real job.

I will say this for the book: Once you get to about chapter 33, you think every chapter is the last chapter. The last sentence of each of the chapters sounds like a wrap it up book ender. Then you turn the page, and on we go to another chapter.

All in all, it's a good book, well written, and full of interesting stories. One personal comment based on what I've read: If the comments about the PGA Tour's rules and the officials' interpretations of those rules are accurate, then I think it's really funny that Phil Mickelson and Tiger Woods take full advantage of the 'independent contractor' phrase to take weeks or months off and not play.

No comments: