Friday, September 30, 2005

Gavin Coles

From The Australian:

AUSTRALIA's Gavin Coles, back after missing six weeks with a cracked rib, resumed the battle to keep his USPGA Tour card with a four-under-par 68 first round at the Chrysler Classic of Greensboro yesterday.

Coles sustained the injury while hitting a tee shot at a tournament in July.

"I'd hurt my back two weeks prior and it progressively got worse," said Coles, who ended the day tied for 15th with compatriot Geoff Ogilvy, six strokes behind American leader Charles Warren at Forest Oaks, North Carolina.

"All of a sudden (a rib) snapped.

"I finished the round and played the next round as well after they drugged me up. It was probably not the right decision but I don't think I could have done more damage."

Coles was sidelined for six weeks and has only made one cut since his return, falling to 174th on the money list. It means he has much work to do in the final month of the season to jump into the top 125 on the money list and keep his card for 2006.

But yesterday was a step in the right direction as he matched Ogilvy, who has no such problems, not having missed a cut since March.

"I played really well. I could have had two or three better if I'd made a few putts, but all in all I'm very happy," Ogilvy said.

In Tucson in February, he scored his first professional victory, and top-six finishes at the British Open and US PGA Championship stamped him as a player to watch in the majors.

"I'm driving it better than I used to, and golf's a lot easier when you're playing from the fairway more often," he said.

"A few years ago I was an awful driver. I could drive it well for a week, but not for months."

The other Australians were further back. Steve Elkington and Robert Allenby shot 70, Peter Lonard and Brendan Jones 71, Steve Allan 72, Adam Scott 73 and Scott Hend 74.

Paul Gow shot 81, but was disqualified for signing for an 80. He made bogey at the par-three fourth hole, but signed for a three.

No comments: