Sunday, September 25, 2005

America Wins!

America won the President's Cup today and I would just like to point out that the three matches I suggested you keep an eye on were all important wins for the US. Fred Couples beat Vijay Singh on the last hole and his reaction was worth watching the whole event. He was so excited and happy. And Davis Love's big hug when he congratulated Fred symbolized what the President's Cup is all about. Team spirit. Have I mentioned that I have been completely, absolutely, unabashedly in love with Fred Couples since 1992?

The next most memorable moment I think is Chris Dimarco's win on the 18th hole. He was just as excited as Fred and with good reason. When the day started there were a lot of arm chair captains on tv second guessing Jack Nicklaus' decision to have Dimarco and Mickelson anchor the team today, but Jack's strategy proved to be correct and he proved the tv people wrong. It's good to see Dimarco get the winning point; he seems to really love the team concept. And he reminds me of Fred Couples, which isn't a bad thing. I did have an interesting thought while I watched Dimarco today. In the local paper there is a Bull Dog puppy for sale. And I thought, "if I owned that dog, I'd name him Dimarco". Chris Dimarco just reminded me of a scrappy bulldog who wouldn't give up without a fight. Of course I could name a pet Stewart or Nick and cover four or five golfers all at once. I did name a couple of calves Fred and Payne once. I think they ended up being someone's dinner.

I guess the big elephant in the room, so to speak, is Tiger's loss to Retief Goosen. I don't find it that surprising. Tiger isn't number 1 in the world because he can play the best all the time. He's number 1 because he can string together enough good rounds in every tournament to beat the others. Today, he only had one round to play and Retief was killing him with those long putts. I will admit I didn't root for Tiger the same way I did for Davis Love or Fred Couples. But I didn't root against him either. Mainly I just kept telling the tv (aka Tiger) "You're the number 1 player in the world, you'd better win this." That's as supportive as I think I could be.

All in all, this was a very exciting President's Cup. I'm almost tempted to order the official tape of the event.

No comments: