Friday, February 19, 2010

Checking In

I guess the biggest news of the golfing day is the Tiger Woods statement. I was watching the Olympics coverage today and they kept talking about how people felt Tiger was taking attention away from the Olympics and that he shouldn't have done that. Well, if the media wouldn't cover him, then the attention would be on the Olympics. It was so stupid how NBC people were complaining but still showing clips from Tiger's announcement. I'm reminded of the old saying from the '60s: "If you're not part of the solution, then you're part of the problem."

More golfing news: Sergio Garcia has made it to the 4th round in the Accenture Matchplay event. He defeated his friend Tim Clark today and when last I heard anything on the PGA Tour network, he was set to face either Oliver Wilson or Luke Donald in the next round. A Garcia-Donald match would be worth watching. Paul Casey is also still in the event.

Olympics: The current controversy is in men's figure skating. The Russian competitor feels strongly that the quad jump should be a requirement for a Gold medal. The guy who won the Gold medal, the US guy, says that if skating was about jumps, then the judges would give you ten seconds to do the best jump you could and there wouldn't be a program with all of the different elements included. I have to agree with the US guy. Not that it's a bad thing to have the quad jump. But there are spins, footwork, and spiral sequences also and those have to be executed well too. It would be like turning golf into a long drive contest and not an 18 hole round of golf.

I've been recording a lot of Olympic coverage this week. Since I go to bed at 9pm, I end up missing out on things like the skating competition. So, I've recorded Monday, Tuesday and Thursday nights' coverage. I missed Wednesday because I had to record the TNT show Leverage. I don't know when I'll be able to watch all of this stuff. There's still so much to watch this weekend too.

Interesting timing - House Hunters International on HGTV tonight is showing either the Dominican Republic or Haiti. I missed out on which side of the island they are on. But it's interesting that this is on after the earthquake.

No comments: