Monday, May 12, 2008

Yippeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sergio won the Players Championship!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I admit, for the last couple of holes I closed my eyes when he hit his shots and I kept thinking, "How's he gonna lose this one." But, maybe I shouldn't have thought that. He was coming from behind today instead of leading like at the last British Open. I think that had something to do with his good play. His putting, of course, was much improved (except for the playoff hole).

As for the controversy about the playoff starting on the 17th hole, here's my two thoughts on it: 1. It's called Sudden Death, not Lingering On with the Aid of Life Support Systems. Why not finish the playoff as soon as possible? 2. Tournament organizers need to do what they can to prevent a Monday finish. Regulation play was planned for a 7pm finish and the players were a bit late on that. Obviously, the organizers picked the shortest hole near the clubhouse for the playoff. With all of the pomp and circumstance with the award ceremony, the organizers need to plan for a little bit of daylight left at the end of the day to accomodate it.

I need to see what Sergio's new world ranking is.

1 comment:

Patricia Hannigan said...

It was a real nail-biter at the end. I was so happy when Sergio hit that perfect shot onto the island!!