Sunday, May 04, 2008

Watching Fox Mulder Pee in an Alley

I started out watching CBS coverage of the Wachovia Championship. When I heard Gary McCord start the whole (completely unwarranted) talk about young guys to rival Tiger (obviously attempting to mean Anthony Kim), I turned the tv to the next station down - the Fox affiliate. They were showing the X-Files movie and apparently I caught Mulder at one of his finer moments. Still, it was better than listening the CBS crew try to make Anthony Kim the greatest player ever. I'm all for talking about rivals to Tiger, but talk about Adam Scott, Steve Stricker, Trevor Immelman, if my memory serves, has beaten Tiger twice in tournaments to win and one of those was the Masters. Kim's got one win. Troy Matteson has one win and I don't think I've heard the media claim he's the next big rival for Tiger Woods. Let's just put Kim's win into some realistic perspective.

CBS, by the way, is very fickle. In the span of about 15 minutes, they went from talking about rivals to Tiger, meaning Kim, to Peter Kostis saying "another mistake. One mistake a hole for the last four holes" when critizing Kim. Never mind Kim was 17 under par and had made a birdie in those last four holes. They need to understand that 'good cop, bad cop' means that you have to be one or the other. You can't be both. And of course the best option is to be completely neutral and just call the action without trying to create news stories. News stories take care of themselves.

So, I gave up watching that tournament and found the LPGA event. That was much better. Exciting - ending in a playoff with Paula Creamer claiming the victory over Julie Inkster.

And I hear the European Tour event also ended in a playoff and Ignacio Garrido just coming up a bit short. Peter Lawrie won that one. It was his first win in 175 events.

The Spaniards have a way to go in terms of representing their country in the Ryder Cup. It looks like so far the only one within reach of the team is Miguel Angel Jimenez.

Non-Golf note: I am desperately craving peanut butter today. I've had to ban peanut butter from my diet because last week I ate a whole jar in two days. I might have to turn to peanut butter tasting snack bars or Slimfast bars.

No comments: