Friday, January 25, 2008

Qatar Masters and Other Notes

I think I saw that Sergio was 3 under in the first round but 3 over in the second. I didn't see any of the golf and only briefly scanned the leaderboard in the mornings before leaving for work so I'm short on golf notes.

Tennis notes, however, I'm full of because between ESPN and the Tennis Channel, I've seen the same matches three and four times each. The women's Australian Open final is Maria Sharapova vs Ana Ivanovic. I'm hoping Ivanovic wins. I like her. Not that I don't like Sharapova, but she's won majors before. Ana just made it to #2 in the world with the Australian Open. As for the men, it's Novak Djokovic vs Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in the final. I'm hoping Djokovic wins. While he's got this crazed and scary look in his eye sometimes, he didn't knock Nadal out of the Open and he didn't express an egotistical attitude during his press conference. I read that Tsonga actually said that if he's playing well, it will be hard for anyone to beat him. I mean really, no one likes a braggart. Plus, he's French. And we know how the French are with sports - just look at the many, many accusations they throw around during the Tour de France. During Federer's press conference after he lost to Djokovic, Federer said he had created a monster by being so successful - everyone expects him to win every match and when he doesn't, it's big news. I know how he feels. Everyone at work expects me to be perfect and great because I happen to try to do my job well. Apparently, doing your job well is rare in government work. The talk this week has been about Federer possibly breaking Sampras's record of 14 majors by winning the Australian Open, Wimbledon and the US Open. He would have to win 3 majors to break the record. I feel bad for Federer that no one is giving him a chance at the French Open. Sure, Nadal has won it for three straight years, but Federer is the #1 player in the world. And it's sad that no one's giving him a chance there. In order for him to set the new record of major championship wins this year, he will have to win the French since the Australian Open is out.

This weekend I hope to watch some of the Qatar Masters. It would be nice to see some golf while I'm busy boycotting Tiger Week Part 1.

No comments: