Saturday, January 12, 2008

From The "I'm Gonna Puke" File

The golf channel is advertising "Two Weeks of Tiger". Apparently they are going to celebrate the fact that Tiger is reporting to work. Gee, does anyone else get a celebration when they go to work? Other than Mickey Mouse, who gets a parade every day, I think not.

First they had Tiger Week because Tiger was born some odd years ago - which I think was a bigger job for Tiger's mother than for Tiger. Now they are having two Tiger Weeks because he's doing his job. I have absolutely had it with all of this blatant pandering. These people who run the Golf Channel and work for the Golf Channel are not journalists and do not present responsible, balanced golf coverage. In order for golf to survive and grow in the coming decades, it will have to become bigger than any one person, and unfortunately, all of this obsession with Woods is only serving to kill the sport, one tv special at a time.

2 comments:

The Armchair Golfer said...

I'm starting to think that Tiger is not your favorite ... :)

Miranda said...

That isn't entirely Tiger's fault. True, I don't like it when he wins everything (I never liked it when Pete Sampras won everything), but it's mostly the media's treatment of Tiger that I have issues with.

I did realize though that the Two Weeks of Tiger coincides with Kelly's return from suspension. We get two solid weeks of wondering if she will say something else inadvertantly that was not intended to offend anyone. I wonder if the Golf Channel will celebrate her return with great fanfare or if she will thank all of her supporters during her difficult time.