Friday, August 04, 2006

Round up

Yesterday I actually remembered that there was golf on from 4pm to 6pm, but when I turned on the tv I saw last year's coverage of the Buick Open. That wasn't so bad because that amateur kid was playing and that was fun to watch. Tonight I completely missed it because I was out shopping. Got a really cute purple lamp. Anyway, I watched some of the senior tour event - confused as to why the celebrity players are playing this week. I missed that bit of news.

Saw on Golf Central that Michelle Wie suffered a two stroke penalty for brushing the sand in a bunker with her club during her backswing. They seem to be attacking her for her explanation of what happened, which is odd considering they are trying to make a ton of money off of her. It seems every time she suffers a penalty like this, the media attacks her. I hear that rule book itself is small but it's the explanations, clarifications, and exceptions that make it like a masters program in college to learn. Granted, the don't touch the sand in the bunker thing is a big one. I hope Julie Inkster wins the British Open since she's never won it before. Se Ri Pak withdrew with neck problems. No cool fashion to watch this week.

Speaking of the women's tour, I think the revamped Rolex rankings will reflect more accurately who's playing the best. And, if you were cynical enough, you could even suggest that this was how they planned it to be all along. They just manipulated it in the beginning to get the Michelle Wie media spotlight on it.

And I think the media (the golf channel since that's the only thing I've seen for the Buick Open) is getting out of control - talking a 59 on Tiger's first round. Even Tiger seemed to suggest that he never considered it, saying that you don't really start thinking about it until you only have a few holes left. Not the way the Golf channel was throwing the idea around as early as they did (after only the first few holes). I don't know why they have to manufacture these stories - you'd think after 10 years they would have enough faith in Tiger that they wouldn't have to create a story, he could provide them with one on his own.

And Three Days With turned into Four Days With when they had Tiger Highlights from some major championship on last night. I ended up watching Who Wants to Be a Superhero on the Sci Fi channel instead. This coming week, it will be Three Days with Phil Mickelson. Oh Joy. How about spending three days with a player we aren't sick of hearing about? But then, you wouldn't want to actually teach the viewers anything new about a golfer, would you? You'd just rather show re-runs of tournaments that we've already seen a hundred times.

No comments: