Friday, August 18, 2006

PGA Championship Thoughts

So far:

While I would love to see Sergio win, I am very excited to see Billy Andrade in contention. I actually watched some of the coverage today (which I wasn't planning to watch since I was convinced it would be all Tiger and Phil) because Billy was doing so well.

Billy Andrade is proof that long hitters aren't necessarily the smartest golfers. He's tied for the lead and has had to think his way around the course to get there. The long hitters could have been leading if they thought a little more and fed their egos a little less.

I heard the announcers say that Tiger has hit two people in the gallery today with wayward shots? Not that I was planning to anyway, but I am definitely NOT going anywhere near him next week when I go to the tournament. He's way too dangerous and borderline irresponsible with the way he's playing. He knows his driving is off, but apparently he doesn't care and continues to put the gallery at risk.

I'm glad Geoff Ogilvy is doing so well. If he wins this he should definitely win player of the year honors.

Where's Luke Donald been? All of a sudden he's up there in contention in a major.

What IS the length of a tap in? They called Mickelson's putt on the 15th a tap in and it looked like two or three feet at least. Before my five year break from golf watching, they would only call it a tap in, if it was a few inches from the hole, not a few feet. I'm beginning to think Sergio's putting isn't as bad as everyone thinks. The announcers are just making it seem that way.

Law and Order Commercial - has anyone seen this commercial where it sounds like the guy is saying "I killed Justin Leonard"? I hope the guy isn't saying that, but it is way too freaky and a little crass of TNT to air that commercial during the golf coverage.

Announcer comments:

Lanny Wadkins mentioned everyone BUT Billy Andrade when he first came on the air tonight. Billy was tied for the lead at that time and Lanny completely skipped over him. Have you all heard the song by Neal McCoy called "Billy's got his beer goggles on"? Well, I think some of these announcers have "Tiger" and "Phil" goggles on and they just don't see anyone else.

Speaking of seeing only Tiger and Phil, a Lanny Wadkins quote: "Between Mickelson and Woods one of them's been in the trees on every hole." When speculating on the amount of conversation in the grouping of Mickelson, Woods and Ogilvy.

No comments: