Saturday, August 22, 2009

More on Solheim Sexism

Yesterday during the discussion regarding the damaged ground issue, Rich Lerner actually suggested that the US Assistant Captain should just give in and make the US player play the ball where it was. "In the interest of good sportsmanship" he said. What? Would he dare suggest Paul Azinger do that? Or Tom Lehman? Or Colin Montgomerie? Or Ian Woosnam? Why should women have to give in and not pursue the correct ruling? Apparently when the women discuss a ruling, it's poor sportsmanship, but when the men do it, it's perfectly acceptable.

Gotta love those double standards here in 2009. Boy have we come a long way.

1 comment:

Jon Blackburn said...

Miranda,

I didn't get to watch much of the Solheim Cup (frankly because unless there's a major on tv, I'm usually out on the course myself). I was a bit shocked to read the analyst's quote on your post, though! I tend to think that sexism is less of an issue than what a lot of people say, but I think you're right in this case. Very unfortunate :(