Sunday, April 13, 2008

There He Is.....

I wondered if 60 Minutes had actually come on as scheduled so I turned the tv over to CBS and found that the Masters was still going on. So, I turned back to the Tennis Channel and kept checking back about every 15 minutes or so. This meant that I did actually see the Jacket Ceremony in Butler Cabin. After Jim Nantz went on and on and on in his "Oh Trevor is the greatest golfer here today" tone of voice (the one that sounds so insincere after all the years of him fawning over the cash cow, uh, I mean Tiger), I really and truly thought he was going to launch into the Miss America song. And that last shot of Trevor wearing the jacket - I was stunned that they didn't give him a crown. Really. That thought did run through my mind (Where's the crown, he's not wearing a hat or anything.) I know Augusta National and the people who run the Masters have very favorable opinions of themselves, but gee whiz. If the sprinkers had come on in that cabin, everything would have melted it was so sugary.

As for Trevor Immelman, it's good that he won. And it's good that Brandt Snedecker, Andres Romero, Miguel Angel Jimenez, and Sean O'Hair get invites to next year's tournament because they finished in the top 15. And I had the feeling that Zach Johnson wanted to high-five Trevor or jump for joy or something. He looked like he was ready to burst.

One final comment on the CBS announce people - I don't know how they can live with themselves when they spend four days talking up Tiger and talking down the rest of the field and then at the end they say something nice about Trevor. I'm sure they can't be sleeping well at night.

No comments: