Sunday, March 12, 2006

Luke Donald Wins

It came down to Geoff Ogilvy and Luke Donald there at the end of the tournament. Between the two, I was hoping Luke Donald would win. Ogilvy has already won once this year. Time for someone else to win. Johnny Miller said there at the end that Luke Donald was single. I thought I read in Golf Magazine that Donald has a long-time girlfriend. I'm going with the Golf Magazine article. Maybe Miller is just one of those people who think someone is still single until the marriage license is signed and recorded on the books. And there seemed to be a Paul Azinger lovefest going on this weekend with regard to the announce team.

Now that I've had a couple weeks to listen to the NBC coverage, I have a few comments. They also talk about Tiger Woods way too much, even when Tiger isn't playing in the tournament. But they don't try to create the story or the tourament through their coverage like some others I've commented on in the past. Since I have expressed my opinion of Lanny Wadkins, Paul Azinger and Nick Faldo, and even Frank Nobilo over on the Golf Channel, I guess I need to express an opinion on Johnny Miller now. OK, here it is: he seems to be the one commentator who genuinely loves golf and is still excited about the game (Nobilo is a close second). He has such energy in his voice when he describes the action that even if he makes some biting comments about some players, you can't fault him too much because you can tell that if he could get out there and play every week, he would and he'd have no problem kicking some players' butts. I think some commentators try to be as critical as Miller but can't pull it off as successfully because they don't have Miller's love for the game coming through in the rest of their commentary.

No comments: