Saturday, October 14, 2006

Open de Espana Senior - Round 2

/noticias.info/ Gordon J Brand will take a five shot lead into the final round of the OKI Castellón Open de España Senior as the Englishman seeks to win his first European Seniors Tour title. Brand produced another magnificent display at Sergio Garcia’s home club of Club de Golf Mediterráneo on Saturday, carding a six under par 66 for a 36-hole total of 13 under par 131.

His nearest challenger is Scotland’s Sam Torrance, who compiled a second successive 68 to climb into second spot on eight under par.

Ireland’s Eamonn Darcy, who is also chasing his maiden win as a senior, returned a 70 to earn a share of third place on seven under par. Also on that mark are England’s Carl Mason, winner of the previous two events and round in 71, as well as Jamacian Delroy Cambridge, who produced a best-of-the-day 65.

“I don’t think I have held such a big lead before. It’s a shame – I wish I could answer like Tiger Woods and say that it happens every week!” said Brand with a smile, as he pondered tomorrow’s final round.

The former Ryder Cup player was out in one under par 35 before taking off over the inward half, notching birdies at the tenth, 11th, 13th, 15th and 17th holes. It was testimony to his fine approach play that four of his five birdie putts were from two feet or less.

“I was pleased with my score today. I didn’t play great early on but scored, and then played really good later on. The back nine was really solid - I was never in trouble.

“I think the rest has done me good. I learnt from playing eight weeks in a row – even when it’s only three rounds you still can’t play for eight weeks in a row and produce your best. Arguably my best finishes have come after a bit of a rest and hopefully I can secure my first win this week. It would certainly give me great confidence.”

Torrance, though, has his eyes firmly set on shooting low and overhauling Brand come Sunday evening.

With four tournament wins to his name already this year, the former Ryder Cup Captain leads the Order of Merit on €294,497 and knows that victory in the mountains of Castellón would all but seal his position as Number One.

With his nearest challenger, Eduardo Romero of Argentina (€220,192) not playing and third-placed José Rivero of Spain (€218,099) back down the field on two under par, the €45,000 first prize could give Torrance an unassailable lead with the final two events of the season to come.

Torrance said: “I played well today and although I am five shots back, I certainly feel I have a strong chance. I definitely want to win. I know I am ahead of everyone chasing me in the Order of Merit, but if I win here then I think it is over. It would be nice to wrap it up early.”

With that in mind, the Scotsman started his second round in aggressive fashion and holed from 15 feet for a birdie at the first. He picked up further shots at the par five fourth hole and the par four fifth, only to give one back following a three putt from 15 feet at the next.

After turning in 34, Torrance birdied the first two holes of the back nine and, just like earlier in the round, the head of steam he was building up was extinguished by a sloppy bogey. This time a pulled five iron did the damage at the 12th, rather than the putter.

However, he hit back immediately with a sixth birdie of the day and parred his way home for another round of 68, and an eight under par total of 136.

Looming large alongside American John Benda and Chilean Guillermo Encina on six under par is the considerable presence of Greg Norman, a man who knows a thing or two about winning tournaments – 91 at last count including the Open Championships of 1986 and 1993.

The Australian, who has played precious little golf since undergoing a second knee operation earlier in the year, was disappointed with his second successive 69.

Ironically, Brand was runner-up to Norman at Turnberry in 1986, by the margin of five strokes – exactly the lead he now finds himself with as he tries to break his duck as a senior.

No comments: