Friday, October 07, 2005

WGC: AMEX Championship

I've managed to see a little bit of both rounds so far. If I had been paying attention to the European Tour, I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see Colin Montgomerie doing so well. I understand he's moving up the money list over there with lightning speed. A few other noteworthy folks: Sean O'Hair is 5 under. Angel Cabrera, also 5 under is having a very good few weeks. Sergio Garcia is 4 under despite a couple of wayward shots and his putting. Also at 4 under and currently tied for 10th is Stephen Ames, who is apparently 94th on the PGA tour money list. I'm nervous about seeing David Toms in the field. He's doing well at 4 under par, but I think I'll be nervous until he has his surgery and completely recovers. At the opposite end of the spectrum is Justin Leonard who is 7 over par through two rounds. Maybe the cooler weather isn't his cup of tea. The temperature might be another reason Colin Montgomerie is leading. It probably feels just like home to him.

As for Tiger Woods, I just have one thing to say. He knows the cameras are always on him, so can't he find some milder cuss word to use when he misses a shot? Little kids look up to him and since kids grow up fast anyway, wouldn't it be nice to have one aspect of their lives that could actually expose them to well behaved sportsmen to teach things like fair play and grace in the face of adversity? It would be great if all these kids grew up to be successful, rich athletes, but most will end up working in offices with many different types of people. Currently where I work, we have some co-workers who use the most vile cuss words to describe customers and other co-workers in other offices. It's embarrassing to be represented by these people. I have never used a cuss word out loud at work. Not only do I think it's just plain inappropriate in an office setting, I don't think it shows respect for the co-workers who might be very religious and could be very offended by hearing those kinds of words.

No comments: